Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Caterpillar 943 crawler loader. Boom function just stopped…

Caterpillar 943 crawler loader. Boom...
Caterpillar 943 crawler loader. Boom function just stopped working, bucket works. Took tank off and hydrualic shop went through it and still no function on boom but bucket works. All linkage works and is there. Pump works or bucket function wouldnt work.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/4/2015
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 7 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Won't boom up and won't boom down (won't lift front of tractor off the ground) at all, yet the bucket function works fine? I'd need more info to know for certain what the problem is, but from what you've described, a possibility is the piston seal is blown on one of the lift cylinders. If the loader arms are down, which I assume they are, I'd start by disconnecting the hoses that go to the rod side of both lift cylinders and put a proper threaded plug in both hoses, leave the ports to the rod side of the cylinders open. Now start the tractor and gently engage the lift function while monitoring those open ports on the two cylinders, see if one of the open cylinder ports starts puking oil and yet the loader arms don't raise, indicates failed piston seal on that cylinder. If you suspect this to be the case, with those rod side hoses still plugged, engage the loader down function and see if it loads the engine, indicates the control valve is fine and putting pressure on the hoses to the rod side of the cylinder. You could do the same with the piston side of the cylinders, disconnect those hose and plug them, start the tractor and engage lift up, see if it loads the engine. Doing it this way you can determine if the problem is with the control valve or with one or both cylinders and you don't have to bother connecting a pressure gauge to do it.
I believe you are correct because hydro shop has been doing it since 1968 and he said everything looked good in valves. I need to figure out how to pay you now
Quote: "I need to figure out how to pay you now".
LoL, well, I can't help you there, I don't know how that works myself on this website, things look different on my end, no view of what the customer is seeing. Pay would be much appreciated, but that's not my primary goal, my desire is to help folks with the problems they are having, and if I happen to get it right and help with their problem, I consider pay a bonus for my advice as I try to only offer advice that will help. I sincerely ***** ***** advice helps solving your problem.
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Well my account says paid, let me know if you dont get it. Thanks a bunch. Hard to make money when my machine is down.
Yes, all is good here, and thank you very very much. And yes, you are correct, a dead machine don't make no money, that is my primary goal, to get that thing back in service. I hope you get it sorted out in short order. Cheers!
Turned out bolt on ram end center ripped threads out of ram.
I've seen that happen before on other machines as well, piston pops loose from the rod, weird things happen then. Good to hear you found the problem, and that's way better than replacing the control valve. Good job brother!