Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

What is the correct method to time 3af1 engine

Customer Question
what is the correct method to time 3af1 engine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/3/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician
my name is***** will try to help. Could you check the engine data tag to see if it lists the timing degrees it should be timed to on your engine? It sounds like you might be a tooth off or a few degrees out.The front crankshaft pulley should have timing marks for the degrees. You will need to line up the pulley pointer with the degree spec for this engine and with the timing inspection cover on the side of the front cover (cover with two bolts on the side of the timing cover) removed line up the mark on the gear. If the spec is not on the engine date tag let me know your engine serial number and pump tag info and I will see if I can get the specs for you. This is the procedure for a different model but it is basically the same procedure but we need to know how many degreed BTDC to set this one at. Let me know and Ill help any way I can. View Full Image View Full Imageyou can flow time/ spill time the pump. Here is the basic procedure. Im kind of curious at what degree it might be se at now. This is done by checking the pint where fuel delivery starts and stops on #1 at the pump. This is another option of timing the pump but we still need the degrees to time this at. I was told he would follow up with me by the end of the day.First, check the injection pump specification plate on the engine for the port closure value. Then, with a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt, manually turn the crankshaft in the engine's direction of rotation to position the #1 piston on the compression stroke. Locate the engine calibration scale that is usually found on the front pulley, harmonic damper, or the flywheel. Position the crankshaft approximately 20 degrees before the port closure specification. For example, if the specification is 10 degrees, you would set the crankshaft at 30 degrees.Remove the high-pressure pipe from the delivery valve on the injection pump #1 cylinder. Unscrew the delivery valvebody and remove the delivery valve core and spring. With a scrap piece of injection line from a salvage yard or engine shop, install it as a test spill tube on the injection pump. A discarded high-pressure pipe cut neatly and shaped into a gooseneck is all that is required.Use the hand primer pump to charge the gallery. The pressure created by the pump will be insufficient to open the delivery valves, which means the fuel will exit through the spill tube you have attached to the #1 port. The fuel should exit in a steady stream, so have a friend hold a coffee can or other container under the tube.Then, slowly and smoothly turn the engine over with the breaker bar in the direction of rotation while observing the stream of fuel from the test tube. When the injection pump plunger leading edge rises to trap off the spill port, the steady stream of fuel exiting the test tube will first break up into droplets and then cease as the plunger passes the spill port.The critical thing here is to locate the pump precisely (through the movement of the crankshaft) at port closure. At that time, the flow at the test tube should exist but be minimal; 2 to 6 drops per 10 seconds.Now check the engine timing marks. Where the crankshaft position produced the drip from the test tube is the port closure. The crankshaft should be within one degree of the listed specification if the injection pump is timed properly.If the pump timing is found to be wrong, remove the accessory drive cover plate. To do so, loosen and remove the fasteners that connect the pump drive gear to the pump drive plate. With a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt, turn the crank to the port closure specification. By uncoupling the pump drive plate from the pump drive gear, the pump will remain stationary at port closure on the #1 cylinder while you turn the crankshaft. When the engine is in the correct position, torque the fasteners that couple the pump drive gear to the pump drive plate. Turn the engine backward approximately 20 degrees before the port closure timing specification and then recheck the setting.
Thanks Dan , I have no specs at all . I can spill time to 20deg BTDC if this figure will suit this engine no marks can be found on flywheel and only mark on pulley is TDC no 1, I can calculate the degrees before or after by circumferential measurement on pulley . Regards Graeme
My telephone number on registration may be wrong as I don't know a ten digit form ,in any case it is New Zealand 0064-6-7646239 Graeme
Hi Graeme, I am in the US so that is why the phone digits are 10. I would not be able to do a phone consult unfortunately. I have been slammed with field work the last two weeks so my time on here has been limited. What is the current status on this?
Hi Dan ,Can you affirm that 20 degrees BTDC is a good starting point for this timing exercise ? I have no timing marks at all , but I can establish TDC which is on the crankshaft pulley , and can establish any number of degrees by circumferential measurement Regards Graeme
Please answer this query ,I have doubts AS to the viability of just answer Regards Graeme
Hi Graeme, I am buried in field work this week and am not in the office to research this for you. I help on here in between jobs. Let me opt out so another expert can take over that might have better availability.
can anyone in just answer please tell me the correct injection timing for the isusu 3af1 engine
Dan, Technician