catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

We have a 1970 920 Cat loader and recently have experienced

Customer Question

We have a 1970 920 Cat loader and recently have experienced transmission problems. It won't go into any gear. We put a gauge on the top of the filter housing and there is no trans pressure. Any thoughts/ideas?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I would begin by checking the strainer for plugging and see what is in it. (metal, trash, etc)Then remove the suction line and/hose and replace anything cracked or hard.If I did not find anything in the strainer or the suction line to the pump, I would then remove the pump for inspection. If I see signs the pump is blue from cavitation, I would double check the suction lines for cracks or other air leaks. If pump is damaged or heavily worn, it must be replaced. Some parts maybe available but, I am not sure on these old iron machines.