Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2004 226 skidsteer. I just put on an attachment and…

I have a 2004 226...
I have a 2004 226 skidsteer. I just put on an attachment and the auxiliary hydraulics are not working. The loader arm works fine as well as the drive system. Could it just be a fuse?
6/28/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the complete model and serial number of this machine? Is this a B series? Are you getting any fault codes?

Hi Dan,

It is not a B series.

The serial number is *****

How can I check for fault codes? I used to be an ASE certified tech for GM years ago so I know what you are talking about. I just have never checked codes on this machine.
Additionally, when I was doing the pressure release procedure before hooking up the attachment, I realized nothing happened when I pushed the buttons like they usually do.
When I worked at Cat I used Cat ET To read error codes mostly. Are there any error messages or fault indicators going off in the cab? That would indicate an active fault present. Here is some troubleshooting info.

Quote:

Problem 10

The auxiliary hydraulic system is not functioning.

1. The switch for the hydraulic shutoff valve is in the OFF position.
  2. The auxiliary circuit switch is not functioning properly.
  3. The fourth function control is not functioning properly.
  4. The platform harness, the cab harness, or the harness for the pilot operated hydraulic control ( work tool) is not functioning properly.
  5. The modulating valves are not functioning properly.
  6. The orifices for the pilot operated hydraulic control ( work tool) are clogged.
  7. The control valve ( work tool) is not functioning properly.
  8. The work tool is not functioning properly.
  9. The harness for the work tool is not functioning properly.
  10. The ECM or the software is not functioning properly.
  11. The line relief setting is too low.
  12. The auxiliary circuit connections are not fully engaged.

Here is the troubleshooting chart....

Quote:

Auxiliary Hydraulic Does Not Function in Either Direction

SMCS - 5005-038-EA

Top of Form

System Operation Description:

Press the switch (A1) in order to enable the auxiliary hydraulics (A1). Press the switch (A2) in order to enable the auxiliary hydraulics (A2).

graphic

Illustration 1

g00778870

Schematic of the circuit for the auxiliary hydraulics (A1 and A2)

The schematic is associated with the following machines:

216 (4NZ1-2499)

226 (5FZ1-5199)

228 (6BZ1-699)

236 (4YZ1-3999)

246 (5SZ1-3999)

248 (6LZ1-999)

graphic

Illustration 2

g00785974

216 (4NZ2500-UP)

226 (5FZ5200-UP)

228 (6BZ700-UP)

236 (4YZ4000-UP)

246 (5SZ4000-UP)

248 (6LZ1000-UP)

252 (FDG1-UP)

262 (CED1-UP)

267 (CMP1-UP)

277 (CNC1-UP)

287 (CNY1-UP)

Note: Check for any diagnostic codes that are displayed on the Caterpillar ET before performing the following Test Steps.

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION FOR A1

1. Enable the machine.
  1. Press the switch (A1) .

Expected Result:

The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) should be active.

Results:

• OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) are active. Proceed to Test Step 2.
  • NOT OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) are not active. Proceed to Test Step 6.

Test Step 2. CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION

1. Enable the machine.
  1. Push down on either the A1 switch or the A2 switch.

Expected Result:

The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) should be active.

Results:

• OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are active.

Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are not active. Proceed to Test Step 3.

Test Step 3. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE SWITCH

1. Press and release the auxiliary hydraulic switch (A1).
  1. Observe the status on the Caterpillar ET.
  1. Press and release the auxiliary hydraulic switch (A2).

Expected Result:

The switch status should have changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.

Results:

• OK - The switch status changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status. Proceed to Test Step 4.
  • NOT OK - The switch status did not change from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status on both A1 and A2. Proceed to Test Step 5.
  • NOT OK - The status of either A1 or A2 did not change from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.

Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Auxiliary Hydraulics Does Not Function In One Direction".

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK THE OUTPUT OF THE ECM

1. Remove the floorplate in order to get to the ECM.
  1. Locate the wires P978-GN and L998-OR coming out of the ECM.
  1. Enable the machine.
  1. Push down on the A1 switch.
  1. Measure the voltage from wire P978-GN to wire L998-OR. Measure the voltage on the back side of a connector or by penetrating the wire insulation.

Note: Two people will be needed to perform the measurements. One person will need to occupy the seat in order to keep the machine enabled. The other person will take the measurement.

Expected Result:

The voltage should be greater than 10 VDC.

Results:

• OK - The voltage is greater than 10 VDC.

Repair: The problem does not appear to be electrical.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 VDC.

Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen match the machine's options. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen are installed correctly. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the test steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

Test Step 5. CHECK THE SWITCH CIRCUIT

1. Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
  1. Press the switch (A1).
  1. Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 53 of the wire harness connector.
  1. Press the switch (A2).
  1. Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 62 of the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:

The resistances should be less than 5 Ohms on both of the readings.

Results:

• OK - The resistances were less than 5 Ohms.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistances were greater than 5 Ohms.

Repair: The circuit is open in the wire harness and/or the connector. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE AUXILIARY CONTROL

1. Actuate the auxiliary control.
  1. Observe the status for the auxiliary hydraulics on the Caterpillar ET.

Expected Result:

The amperes for the auxiliary hydraulic status should be displaying values that are greater than "0.00".

Results:

• OK - The ampere for the auxiliary hydraulic status is displaying a value that is greater than "0.00".

Repair: If there is no diagnostic codes that are present, the problem does not appear to be an electrical problem.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The ampere for the auxiliary hydraulic status is displaying "0.00".

Stop.

Let me know.

Dan,

Result for step one = not ok. Proceeded to step 6 as listed. Does this mean I need the ET device to continue to read amperes values?

There are no fault indicators or error messages or indicator lights on within the cab.

Could you reply asap with more helpful direction. I rented an attachment to use for this weekend and I really need to get this work completed today.

Thanks

Hi Jeremy, I would first check all your fuses and relays in case there is a power loss for the AUX to function and inspect the harness for problems. It is much easier with Cat ET but you can run through step 3 and 4 and measure the voltage with a volt meter to check the ECM output. Let me know

What is the best way to check the relays? There are the 2 small ones in the fuse panel and then the 6 larger ones in the engine compartment. Additionally, could you direct me to which relay is responsible for the auxiliary hydraulics.

Click this link and see PDF page 7 for the fuse and relay chart. Operators manual Try swapping relays with a known good one from another circuit. For fuses test for power on both sides of the metal spades on top of the fuses with the keyswitch on. Replace any fuses with power only on one side.

I have an operating manual. Both the pdf and my manual show fuse designation, but what are these 6 realys responsible for? Which one is designated for the auxiliary hydraulics? The operating manual gives no info on these. I have attached a pic of the 6 relays which are next to the diagnostic terminal.

Thanks for the update. Here is the schematic and component locator for this machine. Schematics
This is what I have on hand. Troubleshooting.

Do you have any other information on hand now since its Monday? Do you have the auxiliary hydraulics manual?

Hi Jeremy, I help on here part time in between jobs and slammed this week with field work. I consulted with another expert who still works for Cat and he confirmed my thoughts on this one as I hoped maybe he would have some other things to try since you do not have Cat ET. Here is what he said.

It is almost always a wire problem.All you can do is to check the harness from the RH joystick to the Aux ecm and from the Aux ecm to the solenoids on the valve.

Otherwise, ET is needed to verify the operation of the controls.

If the harness test out good you will need to have Cat ET plugged in to read the live data for the controls unfortunately. It is times like this we miss the older technology and I can relate and understand your frustration with this. Let me know how the harness checks out. I will be on the road again tomorrow but back in the evening if any follow up is needed.

Ok. Thanks Dan

Pleasure to help
Dan, Technician