Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a T 325. When I attach the grading attachment with the…

Customer Question
I have a T 325...
I have a T 325. When I attach the grading attachment with the seven pin electrical connected and switch on the hydraulic switch, I blow a fuse, the hydraulics do not work and I get 3 beeps two times. Can you help on what the problem might be. The electrical connection on the bobcat was replaced recently.Thank you!Paul ******
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/27/2015
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Hmm, I've never seen a T325, but that doesn't mean that it's not so, just means I don't have a manual on one of those. However, on a Bobcat, those three beeps from the alarm that you're hearing, those beeps are alerting you that there's an active fault and prompting you to bring up the fault code(s). Whenever you hear those three beeps on a Bobcat, don't do anything, don't shut it down, don't touch nothing, instead, right then, push and hold down the headlight button and it will bring up the fault codes that's causing the alert in the hour meter display. The code should be four digits separated by a dash, like 01-16. Pull your codes up and let me know what you find.
Thank you for replying. The codes that shoe up are as follows
32-04
75-04
39-16
40-16
The T 325 is a Bobcat Brand
32-04: no communication from ACS controller75-04: no communication from drive controller39-16: left CAN joystick base no communication40-16: right CAN joystick base no communicationLooks like you have a machine with Advanced Control System (ACS). If I understand your problem correctly, the machine operates fine until you plug that attachment into the 7 pin connector. I'm also assuming you've used this attachment previously with no issues, and recently you've replaced the 7 pin connector, maybe it got damaged or something, but the attachment and machine still worked fine after the repair. Now suddenly you're having the current problem you're having. Do I have all this correct?
Exactly
Ok, then it's likely that something on that attachment has happened, it's not a problem with the machine itself. There's something on that attachment that is most likely shorting to ground. Bobcat controllers are very "self protective", when they sense a fault like this they shut themselves down to prevent the enemy (like a possible short circuit) to destroy them. The result is when you plug in that attachment it shuts down the drive controller and the ACS controller, beep beep beep, faults come up. I don't know what components the grader attachment has on it, likely various solenoid valves and coils to operate grader angle and tilt. Hopefully these coils have plug-in connections to the harness and not hard wired in. I would start by disconnecting all electrical connections to the various coils on the attachment and then see what happens when you activate the auxiliary circuit. If it still faults out, there's a problem with the attachment harness, maybe a pinched spot that now has two wires pinched together. If it does not fault out, plug in each coil connector one at a time while activating the aux circuit until you run across the coil that's causing the fault. If that happens, that coil is likely shorted out internally. Let me know what you find.
Oh, and another thing, do you have any other attachments that you plug into that 7 pin connector?
Do you have any other attachments at all that you use the aux circuit even if they don't plug into the 7 pin connector?
Thank You. Will continue later.
The reason I asked the above questions, I don't know if you use other attachments or not, but be sure and check that wire cable that goes down the left side of the loader arms to the 7 pin connector at the front. That cable isn't powered up until you hit the button to activate the auxiliary circuit, doesn't matter if you have something connected to the 7 pin connector or not, once you push the aux button, it powers up that cable. I once worked on an S205 that had a limb or something bugger up that cable right when it pokes out of the loader arms near the 7 pin connector, scuffed up the cable jacket and caused a wire to short to ground. I like to never found it, but it was locking out that machine much like yours is doing. Be sure and check that cable good.
Any news on your end?
I got to thinking, again, I don't know how that grader attachment is set up or what components are on it, but what I do know about Bobcat machines and that 7 pin connector is that there is a pin that is battery voltage and a pin that is ground, all the other pins are low voltage signal wires that come from the controllers. To use an attachment with the Bobcat 7 pin connector typically, at least the attachments that I've seen, have to have some form of control box on the attachment. That control box takes the battery voltage wire and the ground wire and distributes hot and ground to the various functions of the attachment as per the signals it get from the low voltage signal wires. If that's the way your attachment is set up you may have something awry with that control box that's popping the fuse and locking out the controllers.
Thanks for asking, I am sending it to my Bobcat Dealer, Problem is in the control wiring. Thanks for your help.Paul
Ha, imagine that, my name is ***** ***** well. LoLWell, we gave it our best shot, sometimes it's just gotta go to the doctor. I hope they get it fixed for you in short order. Cheers!