Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a 1981 v378 cummins fire pumpwith heat exchanger smoking…

Customer Question
have a 1981 v378 cummins...
have a 1981 v378 cummins fire pumpwith heat exchanger smoking out of one bank changed 3 injectord don't really understand flow of heat exchanger with fresh water supply
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/26/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check for coolant loss that could be burning off in the cylinders due to a liner or head gasket problem. If so drop the oil pan and pressure test to look for leaks at the liners etc from underneath. Coolant will leave white ash deposits at the exhaust manifold. If no signs of coolant white smoke can also be from a faulty injector. Run through the overhead adjustments to see if the problem clears and also send the injectors out for testing. Copy and past this link in your browser for the manual to help.
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-2815-233-14.pdf