Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a caterpillar 430 backhoe. I start it up in the morning

Customer Question

I have a caterpillar 430 backhoe. I start it up in the morning and start driving to the jobsite. After about 500 feet of travel the backhoe stops moving forward. So I put it in reverse and back to where it was parked. After a little while longer i lose reverse as well. all fluid levels are in their proper ranges
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. If you still need help, please let me know. This could be difficult to locate or may require some special tooling for testing.Just to verify, you do check the transmission level with the engine running and using the engine running side of the dipstick?If you have a similar machine nearby, try swapping the direction shifter. This is a common area for failure. Also check the wires to the direction solenoids for damage. I had one recently that would try to move then stop and found a stick had torn the wires leaving on a single strand to work. This allowed it to start engaging but, never hold in to drive.Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.