Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a vt275 with cyl 2 and 4 and 6 shorted to low to high…

Customer Question
i have a vt275 with...
i have a vt275 with cyl 2 and 4 and 6 shorted to low to high do you think its the idm
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/25/2015
Mechanic: Jeremy, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.No, I don't think it is the IDM. I think it is the harness. Usually when it is the IDM, you won't get short or high codes for there will be no voltage getting to the injectors in the first place. You usually get a full on IDM failure code. It is pretty rare to get IDM failures, but they do happen. Plus you are only coding on 2, 4, and 6. If it was the IDM, you would get codes for all 1-8 and a IDM failure. I tend to see a lot of communication failures when the IDM has faulted, very very rarely ever a voltage failure code for the injector itself.When you get shorts low to high on only 3 cylinders like that, the harness is usually the fault.Look at the harness where it comes from the engine. Do you see oil pushing through the harness? If so, change the harness out. What happens is the harness fills with oil and will get the shorts across the pins at the connectors. It is a VERY COMMON issue with these and the other International engines. I do 2-3 a week. Thae harnes that needs to be changed is the injector harness under the valve cover, not the exterior harness on the engine. The harness is a harness and gasket in one.I'm pretty certain that once you change it out, those codes will go away and not come back. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I can't see, touch, smell, hear, ortaste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paidfor negative and no ratings I just get nothing.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow upsfor same question are always free.Thanks,Jeremy
Ok great. It is. V6 so the whole side is out cyl 2 -4-6. So it could be the inside harness? I'm going to get in to it and let you know what I find.
Yes, it could be the inside harness. Like I mentioned, look at there the harness goes to the injectors and you can see where the oil will push out of the harness to indicate that oil has gotten into it and causing the short to high codes. That is usually a dead giveaway so I check it first when I see the code. I literally will check for codes, look at the harness, see the oil, and order it for repair and the customer is always in shock when I figured it out so fast. There shouldn't be oil seeping out of the harness or plug. If so, the seal has broken down and the harness is bad.
You should get a open when you unplug them. See how you have oil around that second one? That oil is coming out of the harness there. When you remove the valve cover, you will see how the internal harness is attached to the valve cover gasket. It is a plastic piece. When you get oil out of them, that whole side grounds out and throws the codes that you are having. That one is the culprit from what I can see from this picture.
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician