Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2000 bobcat 773 will not move. Parking brake locked. Appears…

2000 bobcat 773 will not...
2000 bobcat 773 will not move. Parking brake locked. Appears no power is going to brake solenoid. Both circuits, pull and hold, check good. Fuse, relay, foot switch, and seat lock all good. All lights except park brake come on when "push to operate" is engaged. Pushing traction lock bypass has no effect. Codes read "none". All visible wiring appears good. Appears to electrical problem. Are there other solenoids/switches that I have overlooked. What wiring should I check for conductivity. I have a wiring diagram and have checked about everything associated with the brake. Thanks, Tommy
6/24/2015
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 7 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Hello, is this a 773 G series with triangle shaped headlights?
yes
Ok, thanks. I had to make sure because 2000 is just about the time they stopped making the F series and started the G series and they're totally different. The problem you're having is curious, all other BICS lights come on except traction lock, and it is locked, but you can work bucket lift and tilt. That indicates the fault is not with the seat bar sensor. Two possibilities is either a fault with the left panel (where the BICS controller is) or a fault with the main controller (ECU). Again, I say possibilities, I don't recommend going out and replacing either without some kind confirmation that either are the cause of the failure. The problem is there's no way for you to test either, the only way to do that is have Bobcat plug their laptop into the comm port and run the diagnostics. The things is, if there is a fault with the electrical system, harness, or components for the parking brake solenoid the ECU should see this and give you three beeps from the alarm and a fault code(s). That ECU can see pretty much any problem with the circuit or components. If you cut a wire, you'll get a code. Disconnect the P brake solenoid, you'll get a code. Fault with the relay, code. The fact you're not getting codes is what's curious.One question, do you (or anyone) frequently use the parking brake rocker switch on the center console? If so, maybe it's went south and developed an internal fault. Wouldn't be hard to check, simply remove those two allen head screws that hold the center panel in place, pull the panel out and unplug the connector on the back of the parking brake switch, that will eliminate the switch from the traction lock circuit.BTW, is this a standard control machine, foot pedals only for lift/tilt functions and sticks for drive functions? Or is it a Selectable Joystick Control (SJC) machine?
I checked the ECU by unplugging different circuits and the controller always gave me a code so I assumed it was functioning. My guess was the BICS was malfunctioning also. This unit has SJC. I may have overlooked it but I don't recall any center console, only a left and right, I will recheck asap. I was wondering if the parking brake has a relationship to the hand controls other than the parking brake switch (checks good) which appears to be on a circuit connected to both (L & R) hand controls. It appears both have been replaced but the machine has been functioning and all wires had resistance (the best I could check) . I will contact you as soon as I can about the rocker switch. Thanks for the help, Tommy
I'm not real sure about the SJC machines, haven't had much experience with them to know, but I wager if the left and right controls are not calibrated properly (after replacement of either control(s) or actuator(s)) then you will get some funky things happening and may even affect parking brake. I know on standard control machines the engine has to be running to send a signal from the RPM sensor before parking brake will release, and on AHC and SJC machines they also get input from the drive motor speed sensors. But even with those things, I still can't imagine they would be the problem as a fault with them should bring up a fault code. That's the part that has me stumped, you have no fault codes. That's what made me consider the parking brake switch, if it were either tripped or messed up inside causing a closed circuit, the ECU wouldn't see a problem, it would just think you've engaged the parking brake via the switch.
Aside from the parking brake switch, my best guess is the BICS controller inside the left panel isn't sending an input to the ECU to release the parking brake. I've never see a BICS controller do this before so I don't know how the ECU would react, if it were even able to see no input to release the brake from the BICS controller or even to put up a code. Typically, when there's a communication problem between the BICS controller and the ECU you see INPUT in the hour meter display, but this is typically a total no communication issue, not a no communication from just one function of the BICS controller, in this case the parking brake.
At this point I'm just stumped. If you don't find a problem with the parking brake switch or circuit, I'm afraid you may have to get some more advanced diagnostics from Bobcat. But I'm still going to be thinking about this and see if somethings pops in my head.
BTW, just so you know how the parking brake works on your machine, the solenoid itself has three wires, red black and white. The red wire goes to the low magnetic power hold coil inside the solenoid, the white wire goes to the high magnetic power pull coil in the solenoid, and the black wire is ground for the two coils. The hold coil doesn't have enough power to pull the solenoid spool in, that's where the pull coil has to be powered up to help pull the spool, but that coil can only be powered up for a few seconds or it will burn up the solenoid. Once the spool is pulled in the hold coil takes over to hold the spool in.
When you push the enable button on the BICS controller it (well, is supposed to) send a signal to the ECU (main controller) to release the parking brake by powering up the solenoid. The ECU then does two things, 1) is sends a direct voltage signal to the red wire (hold) on the solenoid, and 2) it sends a voltage signal to the parking brake relay in the fuse box. This trips the relay to send battery voltage to the white wire (pull) on the solenoid, after a few seconds (long enough to pull the solenoid spool) the ECU takes power away from the parking brake relay which kills the power on the white wire. By this time the spool is pulled and the red wire holds the solenoid spool in. When you have the parking brake released via the BICS controller and you flip the parking brake switch on the center cab panel, the switch sends a voltage input to the ECU to tell it to "turn off the power to the parking brake" thereby releasing the spool and engaging the brake. It doesn't "take away" the input from the BICS controller, that way when you again flip the parking brake switch again to release the brake you don't have to push the enable button again because the BICS input is still active and remains until you raise the seat bar.
As for the parking brake override button, that function only works when the seat bar is up. This is typically used when you have something like a backhoe attachment on the front of the machine. With the seat bar up the lift/tilt won't work, which is a good thing since the backhoe is attached to the coupler, but in this case you can press the traction lock override and drive the machine from the backhoe seat, but the seat bar has to be up for this to work.
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
I have tried the override with the bar up with no success. This machine does not have any switches on the center upper console. Is the parking brake switch, center of floor board, the only one or am I overlooking one. I have checked and double checked everything we have communicated about just in case but found nothing. If there is a switch that I may have missed please let me know. Thanks for all the help, Tom Bright
Does your machine have that orange colored metal parking brake pedal in the center floor board, in between the two foot pedals? That type of parking brake switch was used on the earlier C and F series machine and it spilled over into the very early G series machines (which yours would be), the later model G series machine used a rocker switch on the center cab panel in between the left and right control panels.
If you have that floor board parking brake you definitely want to check that out as a likely cause of your problem. That pedal depresses a push button switch to activate the parking brake.
And thank you very much for the positive rating. I try my best to earn a positive rating from a customer by doing all I can to help them with their problem. I'm hoping we find what's causing your machine to be unhappy.
I have tested the foot operated switch which tested good. There is no power to this point so I am assuming the problem must be either in the BICS or between it and the foot switch. I just hate for something to whip me but I believe Bobcat will need to hook the machine up to help me further. I just don't understand why I don't get any codes on the problem. I disconnect anything at any point and receive a code. Thanks for all the information and thoughts about this machine and the problem. Please contact me if you think of anything else. I know I can bypass everything and jump to the brake solenoid with a momentary rocker switch and a hold switch but persons other than myself use this machine and I am afraid it would just cause more problems down the road. I will contact you with the problem and fix so maybe if you experience this again you will have another diagnosis. Oh, by the way, my son had a self proclaimed master who said he could diagnose and repair any problem come by and after a couple of hours left for lunch and he has not been heard from since. Sometimes it's best to not brag until you meet the foe. Thanks again, Tom
Agreed, at this point I think it's time to get Bobcat to plug the laptop into the machine to help crack the little nut. Best of luck Tom, I hope you get it sorted out in short order. Paul