Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 287b and when i went to start it and move it it moved…

Customer Question
i have a 287b and...
i have a 287b and when i went to start it and move it it moved as if the parking brake was stuck on, after moving it about 10 feet the parking brake light flashes and it turns the pilot controls off on the left side, After unhooking the battery and trying to clear the flash it repeated the same as prior. Now that we have used other equipment to load the skidsteer and got it back to our shop we have tried to test the parking brake solenoid but i cant get the flashing parking brake light to stay off and supply the pilots anybody have any ideas???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/21/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Disconnecting the battery will not clear any faults on CAT machines. The systems self checks each startup so , you have an active fault.To find this problem, please follow the guide below to locate the source of the fault.If you need further help with any part, please post the results of the testing you have completed and the current step you need more information about. Parking Brake Indicator Is FlashingTest Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLEDOccupy the seat. Place the armrest in the DOWN position. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.Expected Result:The parking brake indicator should be on.Results: OK - The parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 4. NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2. NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is off.Repair: The parking brake indicator is not working properly. See Testing and Adjusting, "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Do Not Function Correctly".Stop.Test Step 2. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH FOR A SHORT TO GROUND Turn the key start switch to the OFF position. Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting". Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine. Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM. Measure the resistance from contact 42 to contact 3 (wire F780-PK to wire 201-BK) on the wire harness connector.Expected Result:The resistance should be greater than 3000 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is greater than 3000 Ohms.Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".Stop. NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 3000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.Test Step 3. CHECK THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH Lower the cab. Remove the parking brake switch. Disconnect the wire harness from the switch. Measure the resistance from terminal 2 to terminal 3 of the parking brake switch.Expected Result:The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.Stop. NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.Repair: The parking brake switch has failed. Replace the parking brake switch.Stop.Test Step 4. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLEDNote: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position. Press and release the parking brake switch.Expected Result:The parking brake light should be off.Results: OK - The parking brake light is off.Repair: There is no problem at this time.Stop. NOT OK - The parking brake is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 5.Test Step 5. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE Turn the key start switch to the OFF position. Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting". Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine. Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM. Measure the resistance between contact 29 and contact 68 (wire H416-GN and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.Expected Result:The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7. NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.Test Step 6. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE Locate the hydrostatic pilot valve. Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot valve. Measure the resistance of the coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve.Expected Result:The resistance should be approximately 10.5 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is approximately 10.5 Ohms.Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.Stop. NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 10.5 Ohms.Repair: The coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve has failed. Replace the coil.Stop.Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 24 (wire 201-BK to wire G988-OR) of the wire harness connector.Expected Result:The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".Stop. NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.Test Step 8. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid. Disconnect the hydrostatic pilot solenoid from the wire harness. Measure the resistance from the two solenoid wires to the machine frame.Expected Result:The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.Stop. NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil of the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.Stop.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician