Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 236 B3 Cat skid steer. With the bucket on and a load…

Customer Question
I have a 236 B3...
I have a 236 B3 Cat skid steer. With the bucket on and a load of dirt the whole machine shakes back and forth when I turn so bad that the whole machine jumps up and down when I stop. Any ideas
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
6/20/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, I see no one has helped you yet. I would like to assist you with this if you still need help.I am not certain about the cause of your problem but, was concerned you may have an over sized bucket or maybe need more counterweight.Additional weight kits are offered to help stability. If you will like me to look into the options, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.
Thank you for replying. I am sure that what you suggested is not the problem. This is a 2013 Cat skid steer model 236 B3 with 903 hours. On the silver plate inside the back door is a serial number A9 H00506 but painted on the side underneath the 236 B3 is A9H506. The bucket is not oversized and it behaves this way even with an empty bucket. Testing it today even with just a slight forward or backward movement of the machine is followed by a rocking forward and backward (or similar rocking if you move side to side). My son made the comment that it's almost like it has one wheel smaller than the rest. The tires are fairly new and were replaced all at the same time last year. Thank you for your help.
Thanks for the information. I did not find a specific letter addressing your problem, I found a few other items that could relate to your issue. Please review each item and let me know if you feel this is relate to your problem.There are four drive chains on the skid steer loader that must be checked and adjusted.Park the machine on level ground and stable ground.Chock the rear tires.Use an appropriate floor jack to lift the front of the machine so that the front tires are off of the ground. Rotate the wheel forward and backward. Measure the total free play (A) .Note: If the total free play does not exceed 15 mm (0.6 inch) the chain tension does not need further inspection. If the total free play exceeds 15 mm (0.6 inch), you should continue with the inspection.See your owner's manual for details about chain tension adjustment.The machine does not move correctly when the pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic) is actuated.Probable Cause;The speed sensing valve may not be set correctly.The charge pressure is too low.The pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic) may not be functioning correctly.The orifices at the pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic) may be plugged.The piston motors may be worn or the pumps may be worn.The machine does not track straight.Probable Cause;The neutral null setting is incorrect.The pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic) is not functioning correctly.One section of the piston pump could be malfunctioning.A piston motor may be malfunctioning.The displacement stops on the piston pumps may need adjustment.The orifices on the pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic) may be plugged. Test for Tracking of the Machine (Drift)This test will determine if each displacement stop is adjusted correctly in each group of rotation. The two displacement stops adjust the maximum stroke of the swashplate in each of the groups of rotation in the forward direction.Note: If the machine drifts to the same side in both forward and reverse, check the chain tension on both sides of the machine before you proceed with the test.Move the machine to a testing location that is flat, level and 30.5 m (100 ft) long. Allow enough space on each side of the centerline for any machine drift that could exceed 3 m (10 ft).Start the test outside the test area. The machine must enter the testing location in straight-line travel and the machine must be traveling at full speed. The engine must be set to HIGH IDLE and the speed and direction control must be positioned fully forward.Note: This test should be performed in single speed, not two speed.Measure the amount of drift and record the direction of the drift.If the machine does not pass this test, refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Maximum Runout Test".Test for the Operation of the Two Speed Function (if equipped)Use the following check in order to determine if the two speed function is operating correctly.Fasten the seat belt and lower the armrest.Start the engine. Run the engine at HIGH IDLE.Disengage the parking brake.Move the pilot operated hydraulic control all the way forward.While you keep the machine at full speed, press the switch in order to activate the FAST mode. There should be a noticeable increase in the speed of the machine and the indicator for two speed should light. If there is not a noticeable increase in the speed of the machine, refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Hydrostatic System Troubleshooting".While the machine is still traveling, press the switch in order to deactivate the FAST mode. There should be a noticeable decrease in the speed of the machine and the indicator for two speed should shut off. If there is not a noticeable decrease in the speed of the machine, refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Hydrostatic System Troubleshooting". Hopefully looking at these items may point toward your problem. It may lead to detailed testing of the hydrostatic system and will require many special tools. Please let me know if you will make these repairs or send it to the dealer.