Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Dan I have the preheat cycle light on on skid steer

Customer Question
Hello Dan I have the preheat...
Hello Dan
I have the preheat cycle light on on skid steer Gehl 7810. No throttle checked everything possible any idea
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/15/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi, Thanks for the request. Let me know if you are getting any faults or warning indicators. Tou test the throttle control you will need a digital Volt OHM meter to test the switch. You test for voltage out of the switch in the different switch positions. It will increase and decrease as you move the switch. Also with the switch disconnected from power you can use an OHM meter to check the differences in resistance through the switch in the different positions. Check all your relays and thoroughly check your harness. If you have good voltage signal from the switch to the throttle actuator then you likely have an actuator problem. Let me know the results and if we have to dig deeper.

Thanks. I am heading to the machine now. I have the glow light indicator/engine overheat warning light on.
Per manual the cause is
1- engine is going through pre-heat cycle (temp gage is ok and moves up to 190 def)
2- engine oil pressure low (external gage shows 55-60psi)
3- engine coolant too hot. (I opened the throttle sending early coolant flow keeping engine temp with in range)
I have DVM and do not know which switch you are referring to for me to check).
I saw you have helped someone in the past with similar problem and that was the reason I tried to reach out. Please advise..
Thanks
Thanks for the update. I was referring to the throttle control switch. See if the voltage increases and decreases when moving the throttle or with the switch disconnected use the OHM scale to test the resistance to be sure it is increasing and decreasing and no opens in the switch... Let me know
Hello D
Checked the throttle switch and it appears ok. Ohm is increasing and decreasing. Light is still on. Removed coolant temp sensor and it read 11 ohm. Machine is still in idle status with no throttle and glow light/ temp sensor light is still on. Please advise. I get off work at 4:30 cost and could follow up with your advise then.
Thanks
AG
Hi AG, Thanks for the update. Other potential causes could be fuel pump, engine speed lever/linkage, low fuel pressure( fuel restriction or sucking in air), etc. Go to this link for the maintenance manual and see PDF page 45. Check your throttle control for proper operation at the injection pump. If ok but no response the injection pump will have to be rebuilt or replaced.

http://www.hawkinsequipment.com/gehl-operator-manual/Skid-Loaders/7610-7810-operator-manual.pdf
Hi Dan
Could you tell me the ohm specs/values on the throttle switch?
6 pins- one speed. 5 wires attached. Color code from front to back as you are sitting in the driver seat
Black -white-red-(no wire)-blue-orange.
I would like to know the ohm specs across wires to make sure.
Thanks
AG