Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My hitachi ex100 has lost hydraulics Kinda acts like the…

My hitachi ex100 has lost...
My hitachi ex100 has lost hydraulics Kinda acts like the pump won't stroke or the relief is bypassing or maybe something electrical
6/14/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the hydraulic in tank filter for signs of debris/fine metal indicating a main pump or component failure. Check the pilot strainer in the pump compartment at the side of the hydraulic tank for metal as well indicating a pilot pump failure. If found you will need to completely flush the system and replace the failed pump. If clean remove and inspect the relief cartridges for damaged o rings, debris holding them open causing a pressure bypass, etc. If you have lost all functions then the pilot safety switch and valve controlled by the lever on the LH console could also be your problem. Check for proper operation. Also be sure your pump drive coupler between the engine and pump is turning the pump and has not failed. For your electrical problem you could have an alternator that is shorted internally backfeeding through the IGN switch. Have the alternator tested. Check your battery relay. check all fuses and relays. Also test the IGN switch for power in and out in all positions for a possible faulty switch. Check your harness for shorts and damaged wires and connector pins. These machines have also been known for failed electronic controllers but there should be a bypass switch in the cab to bypass the electronic control to see if anything changes. Let me know
I'm sorry I didn't explain the loss of hydraulics correctly. Everything works , just extremely slow. Kinda like the slosh plate is not moving in the pump. I have recently replaced the angle sensor and both controllers . Both computers are slowly flashing like they are supposed to be .
Thanks for the update. Slow hydraulics is the lack of flow from the pumps or a relief valve problem. Check your in tank return for fine metal indicating pump and start pulling reliefs to look for damaged o rings and debris holding them open. The next step is to get some test gauges on this and a flow meter to see what the pump is putting out Also check the pump signal pressure when a function is actuated. This will not be necessary though if the return is showing metal from the pumps. Let me know
The main and pilot filters looked good. No metal all the functions work and seem to build pressure but no volume kinda like the slosh plate isn't stroking electrical wires look good
thanks for the update. Check your pump signal pressure at the pump control signal lines. There will be two as the functions are split between two pumps in the main pump assembly See if both are signalling the pump when you work through your functions. If so there could be a problem with the pump control or possibly a stuck swash plate. Let me know
There is only one pump and only one main pressure line coming off the pump. I will check my pilot pressure tomorrow. Pretty sure it's that or electrical Kinda frustrating thanks let you know more soon
Hi, There is actually the function of two pumps where the functions are split between both to allow multiple functions to operate and provide enough volume of flow. Hitachi pumps are designed a bit different than others though. Here is a PDF manual for a 120-2 in PDF for under 20 dollars that should help you out a lot in your troubleshooting. I looked for the 100-2 but did not see any available but for 20 you can't go wrong. It has schematics, testing and troubleshooting procedures etc.Copy and paste this link in your browser. Let me know what you find with the pressures.
http://www.downloadamanual.net/p_moreinfo.php?id=a8abb4bb284b5b27aa7cb790dc20f80b8b8edaf036b6fea8f8475449aa676cde
Dan, Technician