Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a cat generator set,xq30 4 it worked fine until last

Customer Question
week I went to service...
I have a cat generator set,xq30 4 it worked fine until last week I went to service it,I started it it ran for maybe 3min, then quit,the control panel red failure to start. I reset it restarted sounded fine it ran for about a minute then quit again this time the indicator lamp that was on is the low coolant /high temo,but it never ran long enough to reach temp. All fluids are full and clean.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/13/2015
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
Leon Poston
Hello
Have you checked your temp sensor?
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
Have you checked the temp sensor?
We tested the sensor on the top.of the radiator, not sure if that's the correct one
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
What cat engine does it have? There should be at least one, most cat engines have 2 coolant temp sensors on the top front of the engine that screw into the water jacket of the head.
This has a Perkins engine
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
I will check tomorrow to be sure but it should be near the front. It could also be 8th the thermostat housing. I will let you know tomorrow.
Thanks,do you test these sensors as you would a automotive sensor. Is there a way to bypass it to make sure it will run if replaced?
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
It depends, if the sensor is normally open you would want to unplug it and try it. If the sensor is normally closed you would want to jump the wires together and try. You can try it both ways. The worst that will happen is the machine will shut down.
I tried jumping the sensors unplugging the sensors and only miss answers I don't know that that's the problem but it still runs for a few minutes first time it will quit the next time it'll only run for like 45 seconds and then quit it doesn't even reach operating temperature thought enough I need to take it have it scanned for codes or there's another way to get codes out of it it's an 05 model sorry it took so long to get back I've been tied up with some other stuff
Mechanic: Leon Poston,
 replied 2 years ago
I am not sure if there is a way to get flash codes... If you would like I will opt out and another expert may know how.
Leon Poston
Leon Poston
Leon Poston