Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 3126b that is overheating. I have changed the…

Customer Question
i have a cat 3126b...
i have a cat 3126b that is overheating. I have changed the water pump about two months ago and just changed the thermostats and flushed yesterday. It is still overheating. Belt is good and no slipping on pump. No visible coolant leaks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/12/2015
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 3 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
What temp is the engine getting up to?
Does the red engine warning light come on?
no light but gauge reads just below 250, verified temperature with infrared gun yesterday and it matched.
I see. Thanks for the information.
Since you have already replaced the water pump and thermostats. And the WP belt is tight. There are only two other things I have seen cause overheating.
The first is a collapsing lower rad hose.
Second is a clogged radiator on the inside. I know you had flushed the system already but to be honest many times flushing will not unclogg the radiator. It needs to be removed and sent to a radiator shop or replaced. I have seen this many times. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
i removed the thermostats and the engine is maintaining 125 deg with straight water does this mean the stats are bad or the engine?
I see. Thanks for the information.
That sounds like there's a thermostat problem. Normally removing thermostats causes the engine to run hot. Since yours did not. I must suspect the thermostats.
These stats are three days old is it possible they are bad?
Yeah I knew you had changed them. Its rare but they could be bad out of the box.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.