Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

JD 550H , oil pressure suddenly drops at idle to nothing on…

Customer Question
JD 550H , oil pressure...
JD 550H , oil pressure suddenly drops at idle to nothing on gauge and stop light comes on. If you move the machine the pressure goes up to its normal high . Pulling the oil sender shows only a dribble of oil at idle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/1/2015
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will try to help you with this
This sounds like your oil pressure regulator is stuck or sticking,
it is located on the filter housing
if not there it is on the oil pump
it screws in and then has a plunger in the barrel of the fitting
with a spring
Are you familiar with the John Deere 550H with the 4045T engine ? It costs $10,000 to pull the engine to check the oil pump. Is the regulator on the outside by the filter or is it inside with the pump and could it be anything else ? The oil pressure came up to normal when I loaded the Dozer on a trailer. When I idled it down the oil pressure quit again.
It's not the sending unit. What could make it come and go ? It has 4000 hours on it and was 5 hours short of an oil change.
Although the relief valve is a $3 piece of garbage junk , the oil pump on the 4045TT engine is inherently flawed and fails at a few thousand hours. The cost to replace it and the crank and bearings it ruined is well over ten thousand dollars. This is a known problem . I suspect designed obsolescence , or apathy towards the suffering customer. The pumps driven impeller gear free wheels on the shaft intermittently causing a total loss of oil pressure. This should be a recalled part .
Morning
Yes I agree that should be warranty
or some % to chip in
Hi
I am just following up with you
did my answer help you