Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

LX 665 noticed a grinding banging noise from front left wheel.

Customer Question
Acted like it was catching...
LX 665 noticed a grinding banging noise from front left wheel. Acted like it was catching on something. Still worked but I don't want to really screw it up. Are there any inspection covers I can look thru? Is the stub axle the wheel is bolted to a direct drive to the chain sprocket are is there a gear reduction? This unit is hard to operate slow at high RPM's, bounces like crazy and it's not me. I'm thinking slack somewhere. Ran fine on open road.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/27/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Sounds like the drive chain is loose or a wheel bearing going out. There is a cover on chain case that gives you a look at the chain case and drive. Rise the left side off the ground and try to roll the two wheels, listening for noise and slack in the chain. Cover should be between the wheels.
Is the axle solid to the chain sprocket or is there gear reduction in the axle housing?
How is the chain lubed, is it an oil bath in the housing?
Yes, chain runs in oil. The chain cases should have oil in them and an oil level plug.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician