Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Just got a 1997 JD 444E loader, hydrostatic trans act like…

Just got a 1997 JD...
Just got a 1997 JD 444E loader, hydrostatic trans act like it is stuck in neutral. Is the transmission shifted electrically? There is a shift lever? on the steering column with a wire hanging out.
5/26/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the transmission filter and suction strainer for metal/debris indicating a pump or other internal problems. Also check the oil condition for the same and discoloration or burnt smell. If ok then verify the shift controls are fully engaging in forward and reverse positions. Finally having your pressures tested and confirmed they are in OEM specs will help isolate a failed pump. control valve problem or clutch pack failure or excessive internal leakage. Let me know the results and your serial number if you still need more help with this
These are things I have done already and should have posted. The oil was low, but clean and the tank filter was ok. In any failed or damaged pump there is noise, chattering or some sound. This just seems to recirculate the oil and do nothing. I have done more research today and found it is electrically operated, but do not know if this is a common failure. Is there a way to tell if the F-N-R valve is operating by sound with the key on and engine off? I'm assuming there should be a indicator light for position but all dash lights are dead. It has been rode hard in it's life.
Thanks for the update. In most cases a pump failure will make cavitation noises or other noises but not in all cases depending on if it is piston, Vane, gear, Variable or fixed displacement type pump. Fine metal in the filter is an indication of pump or internal problems so just keep that in your back pocket if we need to get into pressure checks etc. Now to check the shift controller you will test power in and then out of the controller and then to the solenoids in each gear position and you should see power at the appropriate solenoids. If not the shift controller is faulty and it is a common wear and fail item as well since the contacts wear overtime from constant use. Just be sure to test power in and out of the controller in each position to confirm. Let me know
OK, I will get onto that in a day or so and get back to you. I am tied up with a combine header repair now.
BTW the pump is a swash plate controlled piston pump.
Pleasure to help. Let me know. I should have the pressure specs if we need to get into that on this
Today I found the fusebox, and replaced missing and burnt fuses and ones with incorrect values. I turned the key and hoped to hear a click as the forward - reverse solenoids activated...nope. So I fired it up and the bank of idiot lights came alive.
Now as I put the shift into forward or reverse, it engages the trans and moves about an inch. There is a 1.5" big red light shaped like a stop sign which says STOP and is flashing. A "HST Charge press" light comes on and a "Hyd filter" light is on.
This tells me that the following things could be wrong:
A filter is plugged
A pressure regulator is stuck (don't know if there is one)
The charge pump has failed(gear pump)
So now I am going to try replacing the filter first, unless you have a better idea.
Thanks for the update. Check the filter for fine metal and cut it open with a filter cutting tool to prevent contaminating the sample. Cut out a decent size sample and squeeze put the excess oil and then you will be able to inspect it for metal indicating a pump or internal problems. Let me know.
I may get at it tomorrow if it quits raining, and remove the filter and the tank intake screen to examine.
Sounds good. Let me know and thanks for the follow up
OK, the intake filters are sort of screens and have a paint fleck and a sliver of pipe sealant caught in them.
The high pressure filter for the hydrostatic looks fairly clean and the oil I saved that was around it in the filter cup has a few particles of powdered brass, that you can see under bright sunlight. The piston pump has brass cylinders and this would be normal, I think. I have not cut open the filter as it is a screen and hollow cartridge with a un-pleated paper layer inside and I can see inside and out.
These are proprietary JD filters with no numbers on them and JD says they can order them.I plan to replace the filters and see if the idiot lights go out, but it is looking more and more like I will need to pressure test at the test points(which I don't know where to find) and see what the charge pressure is and what it is supposed to be.
Thanks for the update. Fine metal or brass is not normal unfortunately. It is an indication of a pump failure occurring and excessive wear. Cut open the filter and using a utility knife cut put a decent sized square sample of the filter media and squeeze out the excess oil. Then open up the media an look for metal/debris in the corners of the media where it collects. It is most visible after the oil is squeezed out. Copy and paste this link in your browser for the pressure specs.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9154hdyyjtlcibz,sp2sjma1cbnb8id/shared
Dan, Technician
Thanks for your help, I will go forward in this direction