Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a cat d6t interim tier 4 dozer with 500 hrs on the motor.

Customer Question

I have a cat d6t interim tier 4 dozer with 500 hrs on the motor. Bit concerned - has used oil since new, approx. 6 litres for 250 hrs. Blows steam on start up which I am told is normal, but also puffs out a ball of blue smoke when regen just finishes its cycle. Dealer does not seem to concerned and sos samples are fine. Just asking your opinion.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. I recommend keeping a close eye on the oil consumption. Check the turbo for signs of oil and the intake piping that would indicate a turbo problem occurring or excessive blowby during the break in period. Make sure there are no leaks in the turbo and intake piping have no leaks causing dust to be sucked into the engine causing scuffed rings and cylinder walls. This can happen on new machines if it was missed on a Pre delivery inspection from the factory and could caus excessive wear of the cylinders and dust the engine. Have a blowby test done to be sure it is withing the acceptable range and continue monitoring your oil samples. Also be sure the EGR ans EGR cooler are functioning properly and there are no leaks. Check the ECM for error codes. Let me know