Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Just bought a Komatsu D41A-3a that will not turn to

Hello, just bought a Komatsu...
Hello, just bought a Komatsu D41A-3a that will not turn to the right. Brake pedals are also very low to floorboard, not up high at stopper bolts. But strange thing is if pull on right hand lever, it stops entire forward travel until released. It then proceeds. Right foot pedal has little to no effect. Have noticed will turn somewhat to right at lower engine rpm, but still not hard like it will to the left. Could this be hydraulic related, as having to do with the steering pump? Thank you for your help.
5/22/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** is the serial number of your machine?
07097
Thanks for the update. Check that both tracks will spin and neither is slipping if trying to push against a heavy load or loading dock etc. If either track stops moving it will be a steering clutch problem as the clutches are engaged and then released and the brake applied on one side to stop the track to allow turning. If one side is not driving from worn clutches it will not turn in one direction. also check the release pistons for seal leakage or if they are holding a clutch released. Copy and paste these links in your browser for the parts breakdowns and let me know if you need more help. Check the steering filter for metal/debris as well
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1728!30!33
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1728!30!43
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1728!30!41
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1728!30!42
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1728!30!34
Ok, I will have to go out to it and check, but it may take a few days. Does checking the release pistons involve opening the steering control valve, or is it something than can be observed with everything intact? I am assuming you are asking me to check while the engine is running and pumping hydraulic fluid, yes? One thing that was not answered, what would cause it to stop completely when the hand lever is pulled, no brake applied. And after it is released, it will resume forward movement. Could it be what you mentioned about a sticking piston? According to the service manual, this is a hydraulically driven machine, not hydrostatic, and not direct drive either. It does not have a clutch to engage or disengage, but rather an inching pedal, which is linked to a valve. Also, as I mentioned, it will turn somewhat at low engine rpm, but not normal running speed. If the clutch is being held released, would it be caused by higher hydraulic pressure while running normal engine speed? And then released at lower to idle speed when hydraulic pressure is lower since it will turn a little? If the steering clutch is bad, would it still turn under the lower engine rpm's? Or would it not turn at all, period?
thanks for the update. If the steering clutch is bad the track will not travel and if it does it will be slipping the more load you put on it. There is a steering pump and steering filter I would also check for metal and draine the sreering clutch housings if the pistons are not sticking to see if there is metal or friction material in the clutch housing oil. Let me know
Dan, Technician
I have not been able to go out and try what you suggested, and apologize for not rating your services earlier. I failed to mention where I am, but I reside in South Texas. We have been getting above normal amounts of rain, all of the flooding has made national news. Getting to the dozer is out of my control at this time until things dry up. I will take your experienced word that what you mentioned is more than likely the problem, although you never did answer the one question I asked twice, in two separate replies.
Thanks for the update. Copy and paste the links I posted in your browser. It will give you the breakdown of the components you will be looking at. To help answer your question, straight travel the steering clutches are both applied by spring tension. When turning, one steering clutch is released and also at the same time held by the brake band while the other track is left applied and driving. It is the steering valve that has the piston that pushes the lever inside the steering clutch case to release the clutch. So if it is steering troubles only you either have worn steering clutches that are slipping which would be constant even in a straight push ( tracks should spin in the dirt and not slip), A steering valve that is sticking holding the clutch lever released, Low pressure from a faulty steering pump or leak in the steering circuit, etc. Look for metal in the steering filter that would indicate a pump problem and if clean it will be a good idea to have your steering pressure checked to verify it is within specs. The valves are under the operators seat area at the rear of the machine and the clutches are under the covers inside the housings at the rear of the machine. There will be drain plugs to drain the steering clutch housings to see if there is metal or friction material in the drain oil that would indicate clutch failure.