Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a cat skid steer 226 Serial 5Fz00597 i dont get 12 volts

Customer Question

I have a cat skid steer 226 Serial 5Fz00597 i dont get 12 volts to the start wire on the starter or to the shutoff solinoid. I can by pass shut off and starter and it will run but will not start with the key. If I turn the key on all lights up and I can control seatbelt,safty bar , as well as parking brake.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I work in the field during the day and answer most questions at night.
I am assuming you have tested all the fuses in the panel.Follow the guide below to see if you can find the source of your problem.
Engine Does Not CrankSystem Operation Description:The engine will not crank when the key start switch is in the START position.Test Step 1. CHECK ARMREST INDICATOROccupy the seat.Lower the armrest.Turn the key start switch to the ON position.Check the status of the armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator.Expected Result:The armrest indicator should be off and the parking brake indicator should be on.Results:OK - The armrest indicator is not illuminated and the parking brake indicator is illuminated. Proceed to Test Step 3.NOT OK - The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator are off. Proceed to Test Step 2. NOT OK - The armrest indicator is illuminated or flashing.Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator is Flashing".STOPNOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing.Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator is Flashing".STOPTest Step 2. CHECK THE FUSE FOR THE KEY START SWITCH Locate the fuse for the key start switch . Check for a blown fuse.Expected Result:The fuse should be good.Results:OK - The fuse is good.Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Do Not Function Correctly".STOP NOT OK - The fuse is bad.Repair: Replace the fuse. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Circuit Breakers and Fuses - Reset/Replace".STOPTest Step 3. CHECK FOR VOLTAGE AT THE START RELAYWhen the key start switch is in the START position, battery voltage is applied to the interlock ECM. The ECM sends power to the start relay.Locate wire 306-GN and wire 202-BK on the start relay.Note: On machines that are equipped with the machine security system (MSS), locate wires A346-BU and M732-OR.Turn the key start switch to the START position.Note: Two people will need to perform this procedure. One person will need to sit in the seat with the armrest down holding the key start switch in the START position.Measure the voltage across the start relay coil from wire 306-GN to 202-BK.Note: On machines that are equipped with the machine security system (MSS), measure the voltage from wire A346-BU to wire M732-OR.Expected Result:The voltage should be equal to or greater than 10 DCV.Results:OK - The voltage is equal to or greater than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 4.NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 8.Test Step 4. CHECK FOR + BATTERY AT THE START RELAYMeasure the voltage at wire 109-RD on the start relay Expected Result:The voltage should be equal to or greater than 10 DCV.Results:OK - The voltage is equal to or greater than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 5. NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 7.Test Step 5. CHECK THE OUTPUT OF THE START RELAYTurn the key start switch to the START position.Note: Two people will need to perform this procedure. One person will need to sit in the seat with the armrest down holding the key start switch in the START position.Measure the voltage at wire 304-WH on the start relay.Expected Result:The voltage should be equal to or greater than 10 DCV.Results:OK - The voltage is equal to or greater than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 6. NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 DCV.Repair: The start relay has failed. Replace the start relay.STOPTest Step 6. CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT THE STARTING MOTORLocate wire 304-WH on the starting motor.Turn the key start switch to the START position.Note: Two people will need to perform this procedure. One person will need to sit in the seat with the armrest down holding the key start switch to the START position.Measure the voltage on wire 304-WH on the starting motor.Expected Result:The voltage should be equal to or greater than 10 DCV.Results:OK - The voltage is equal to or greater than 10 DCV.Repair: The problem is in the starting motor. Check for loose connections. Repair or replace the starting motor.STOP NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 DCV.Repair: The harness or the connectors from the start relay to the starting motor has failed. Repair or replace the starting motor.STOPTest Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT BREAKERLocate the main circuit breaker in the engine compartment on th left side.Check for an open circuit breaker.Check for voltage on both sides of the circuit breaker.Expected Result:The circuit breaker should be closed.Results: OK - The circuit breaker is closed.Repair: There is a problem with battery voltage. See Diagnostic Function, "Electrical System".STOP NOT OK - The circuit breaker is open.Repair: Reset the circuit breaker.STOPTest Step 8. CHECK THE KEY START SWITCH Access the wiring for the key start switch. Unplug the key start switch. With the switch in the START position, check the resistance from terminal 3 to terminal 4.Expected Result:The resistance should be less than 5 Ohms.Results: OK - The resistance is less than 5 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 9. NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 Ohms.Repair: The key start switch has failed. Replace the key start switch.STOPTest Step 9. CHECK THE INPUT TO THE INTERLOCK ECM Turn the key start switch to the OFF position. Locate the interlock ECM. Remove the harness from the interlock ECM. Jumper contact 66 (Relay Return) to contact 3 (- Battery) of the wire harness connector. Jumper contact 64 (Start Relay) to contact 62 (Key SW) of the wire harness connector. Turn the key start switch to the START position.Expected Result:The engine should crank.Results: OK - The engine cranks.Repair: The ECM is unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".STOP NOT OK - The engine did not crank.Repair: If the machine is equipped with a machine security system (MSS), refer to the manual for the MSS .The wire harness has failed. Repair or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.STOP
Please post the results of your testing is you need further help with this issue.