Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I was just on with some one else about a parking brake problem…

Customer Question
i was just on with...
i was just on with some one else about a parking brake problem wont release on my JD 240 skid steer and lost them
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/9/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. There is also a seat belt switch and door switch if you have the enclosed cab option. Check all your fuses and check the seat, seatbelt, and door switch if equipped.
Testing Safety Systems
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Engine exhaust fumes can cause sickness or death:
· Catalytic mufflers reduce emissions. The effectiveness depends upon engine load and exhaust temperature levels that are not always present in skid steer operations. Catalytic mufflers will not provide fume-free exhaust for confined operations.
· If it is necessary to run an engine in an enclosed area, use an exhaust duct system to remove the fumes.
· Always work in a well ventilated area.
NOTE: If the skid steer is equipped with auxiliary hydraulics be sure the control valve is in neutral. The park brake switch must be engaged before engine will crank.
Use the following checkout procedure to check for normal operation of machine.
If there is a malfunction during one of these procedures, Do not operate machine. See your John Deere dealer for service.
Perform these tests in a clear open area. Keep bystanders away.
Testing Park Brake Switch
1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)
2. Sit on operator's seat, buckle seat belt, and disengage park brake switch.
3. Turn the key to the start position.
Result: Engine must not crank.
Testing Boom And Bucket Interlock System
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Stay clear of boom and bucket area. If test fails, boom and bucket will move.
2. Sit on operator's seat, buckle seat belt, and engage park brake switch.
3. Start the engine.
4. Run engine at maximum engine speed.
5. Place park brake switch in the middle (run) position.
6. Push down on the back of boom control pedal to slowly raise boom. Release pedal. Push down on the back of bucket control pedal to slowly curl bucket. Release pedal.
7. Unbuckle seat belt. Move pedals.
Result: Boom and bucket should lock as soon as the seat belt is released.
The operator must complete the following sequence, to release the boom and bucket:
1. Sit in the seat.
2. Fasten the seat belt.
3. Disengage the park brake switch.
Testing Seat Switch
3. Start the engine.
4. Disengage park brake switch.
5. Raise up off the seat, but do not unbuckle seat belt or get out of skid steer.
Result: Park brake will immediately be applied and the "Park Brake Engaged" indicator light will come on.
Testing Seat Belt Switch
3. Start the engine.
4. Disengage park brake switch.
5. Unbuckle the seat belt, but do not get out of skid steer.
Demolition Door (Optional)
The demolition door offers protection from flying debris commonly found on work sites. A demolition door is required when operating a Worksite Pro Hydraulic Breaker.
The demolition door contains a safety interlock switch that will not release when the door is open.
The seat belt indicator light will go out after the proper skid steer starting sequence is followed and the demolition door is securely closed. If the seat belt indicator light does not go out, open and close the demolition door securely.
To Open the Door:
KV0553
· Turn the handle (A) and slide the door up into the operator's station.
To Close the Door:
· If you are located outside the skid steer, pull down on handhold (C) until door latches into place. If you are located inside the skid steer, pull down on handholds (B) until door latches into place.
Cab Enclosure With Wiper (Optional)
The cab enclosure with wiper offers protection from flying debris and inclement weather.
The cab enclosure door contains a safety interlock switch that will not release when the door is opened.
The seat belt indicator light will go out after the proper skid steer starting sequence is followed and the cab enclosure door is securely closed. If the seat belt indicator light does not go out, open and close the cab enclosure door securely.
To Open the Door:
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! To prevent damage to the wiper arm, always turn off the windshield wiper before opening the cab enclosure door.
KV0554
To Close the Door:
Using the Windshield Wiper Switch
NOTE: The key switch must be in the accessory or run position and cab enclosure door must be shut to operate the windshield wiper.
KV0560
The windshield wiper switch is a three position switch:
· The momentary up position releases windshield washer fluid.
· The middle position turns the windshield wiper on.
· The down position turns the windshield wiper off.
To access the complete operators manual. Copy and paste this link in your browser. Let me know if you need more help.
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMKV11661_J0/Output/kv11661j05.html#36525
Hi, Did you get this resolved? I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this. Please feel free to rate or accept if you found my information helpful as that is how the experts receive credit for their time helping on the site.