Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I'm working on a 930 g loser serial twr and I can't get

Customer Question

Hi I'm working on a 930 g loser serial twr and I can't get the float to work
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Are you saying the control will not go into float or the lever will not stay in float.Please post the full machine serial number of this unit so I can find the options this machine has.Too many options are available on these machine to guess what the problem could be.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ye when ur using machine the machine won't go into float serial number twr03522 bt I check magnetic they work I'm little confused
Sorry, I did not explain that clearly.I wanted to know if using the machine do you hold the lever down all the way and not get float action from the loader or, is the problem the lever will not stay in float when you release the lever?I assume you mean the loader will "power down" but, not go to the float function.This could be from low pilot pressure. Are you having and brake pressure problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes lever goes down bt won't go into float the lever goes down bt won't float
Before pressure testing is needed, try turning off all other hydraulic control switches. (DETENTS, Proportional Control and verify third lever is centered)Turn the machine to the left or right and hold the steering wheel in that direction, then try the float operation.Then try it straight with no input on the steering and engine speed at full throttle.Let me know what you find.This problem may be from the pilot pump system or the hand control valve is worn out. A few other items are possible but, may require more work to find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the test when it straight and full throttle it works turning it don't bt it goes into detent on control lever
I am sorry, I cannot understand the reply. Can you please post again using full sentences and punctuation.
Do you have any tooling to perform pressure testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got cat et
You will need hydraulic pressure gauges with hoses and the quick couplers to connect on the machine taps.
It would also be helpful to have TEE adapters to connect inline from the pilot control to the main control valve.
You need to test pilot pressure, the pump could be low or a leak may exist in the steering priority valve.
Since full throttle provides enough flow to work the float function, I would assume the main control valve is fine.
You could have low pressure from the pilot lever do to wear in the valve. If pilot pressure is normal, then the pump is good. A service letter was issued for priority valve problem that would cause loss of implement control. If stated all control would be lost so, I am not sure this is you problem yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have caterpillar et where do I test the pressure at
I am sorry, I had the wrong information and was referencing an older model. Please disregard the above information.
This system has a new circuit for float.When you push the joystick control into the FLOAT position, the pilot oil pressure increases from about 1700 kPa (250.0 psi) to about 2750 kPa (400.0 psi). The increase in pilot oil pressure causes a pressure switch to close. When the pressure switch closes, the float solenoid valve is energized by electricity. Hydraulic oil in the lift circuit drains to the tank. The lift arms lower to the ground.
Does ET give you a "Pilot Oil Pressure" reading for the hydraulics?
Do you have any fault codes for the hydraulic system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fault codes bt when u turn the machine it make noise in the pump I ain't sure if the system is related
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where are the test ports to test the pilot valve and U can not see pressure on the cat et
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have sis where do u look up trouble shooting for this system I can't find it
Sorry for the delay. I was looking through SIS too.It is under Document structure, 930 wheel loader hydraulic system, Testing and adjusting, Pilot system pressure test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have to get gauges I be back on Monday
Ok, I am still looking to find the solenoid they mentioned in the Pilot control valve systems operation.If I can locate it, I will post it here to help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a section for the float on sis and where is it located
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank that would be a help
I was looking in System operation for the main control valve but, the note I posted earlier is under the pilot control valve in systems operation.I used the Basic Search function and entered "float" in the search box.