Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat 246C won't start after leaving it shut down couple…

Customer Question
My Cat 246C won't start...
My Cat 246C won't start after leaving it shut down for a couple of days. It has a new Cat battery. Three questions: Should the hour meter remain on after you shut down the Cat? Could the hour meter staying on be running down the battery? Or am I doing something wrong during my shutdown procedure?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/29/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, thank you fro requesting me. I work out in the field during the day and answer questions here at night.I hope this in not too late to help you.The hour meter number will stay on, the battery must be disconnected if you want to turn it off. It should not blink, flash or record time. It should not hurt a battery even if left on for a week or two. Cat does recommend using a disconnect switch if you plan to leave machine off more than three days. (Not required, just for safety)I find most batteries have trouble if they are left in a moist area. Dirt and moisture on top of the battery can actual draw the current from the battery and it will be too weak to crank the engine. This is common in my area for machine left out in the open over a month. You may have a short in the harness that is drawing power. I do remember one that the shutoff solenoid was a latching type (three wire) and was not turning off correctly (internal switch) this would kill the battery nearly overnight.Take the battery cable ground off and lightly touch the post, it should only have a light spark. Any large arc could be a sign of a load still on the battery. Any machine can have up to 0.5 amp load and be ok for a few days. Any load higher will hurt the battery. if you need more help on this please include the full machine serial number with your reply.