Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Im looking at a D3C LGP, it steers great to the right but won't…

Customer Question
Im looking at a D3C...
Im looking at a D3C LGP, it steers great to the right but won't steer to the left. upon investigation i found that the linkage for the left hand brake has been removed due to a modification. would that linkage benign disconnected be the reason why? All the linkage is in tack for the steering lever and the valve moves good. not filmiliar with how the system works, i assume that the brakes have to be adjusted properly for steering to work.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.it has been 4hours and no answer yet?????
4/17/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I work during the day and only have a few hours I can answer questions each night. I will be glad to help you with this problem. I hope it is not too late. The steering for the tractors has two parts. The first is to release the steering clutch. This is spring applied and uses oil pressure from the steering valve to mechanically overcome the springs and "unlock" the steering clutch for the side lever your are pulling ( or pedal you may be pressing).The second part is a the steering brake. The is the larger rod the connect to the top of the housing. The brake is mechanically operated only. The more pressure you apply, the stronger the brake is. For a normal turn while pushing a load, releasing the steering clutch is enough and should be felt about half application of the lever or pedal. Releasing the steering clutch for one side will cause the track to stop pulling and the other track will force the tractor around. To force a hard turn or pivot turn, you must apply the brake. The brake tension will be felt in the lever or pedal after half application of the lever or pedal.To recap, the steering clutch must be released by the half-way point and the brake must not be felt before the half-way point of application. Under normal use, the steering linkage is never adjusted. Only the brake needs adjusting to keep the pedal or lever up with the brake band wear. An adjustment rod is provided to perform this task. Newer machines have a small hole on each side of where the seat attaches to the floor pan. Older machines you must flip the floor plate cover over the filler pipes out and reach under the seat to access the adjuster screw. This screw head requires a 9/16" socket and use the necessary extension for your model. You should only tighten the adjustment enough to prevent the brake pedal from touching the wall. Too tight and the brake will drag and wear out as well as overheat. I will attach a file to show you a little more about the adjustment.
The adjustment is the same for 3,4 or 5 tractors. If you need more help, please include the full tractor serial number with your reply.
I did end up figuring it out, thank you for the info though.
Great, if I can help you again please let me know.
Thanks, Donnie.