Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2004 bobcat S185 Turbo and I am in Los Angeles. I…

I have a 2004 bobcat...
I have a 2004 bobcat S185 Turbo and I am in Los Angeles. I have bought it brand new and owned it for 11 years. 687 hrs on it.
Never had a problem with the machine. I changed the hydraulic and fuel filter yesterday and since then it will not start.
I thought I had the wrong filter but I checked the part number it was correct. Nevertheless I got my old filter and reinstalled it and still it did not start. I checked all of the fuses and they seem to be OK. I checked to see if there are any coeds ( pushing and holding the light switch ) and there are no codes.
I bypassed the fuel filter by pulling out the “IN” line and connecting the ”OUT” line directly to the “IN” line. Primed it a few times and again it did not start.
I stupid mistake that I have done was that when I initially bled the system, instead of pumping and then opening the screw and pumped while the screw was open. Since then I have bled the system at least 20 times the correct way (pumping first and then opening the screw)
I don’t know what else to do. Would you help me please?
Thank you
Rob
4/2/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
If you have only fuel coming out the bleeder at the injection pump, you may have air in the injection lines. Loosen the lines at the injector nozzles at he cylinder head, and crank engine until you see fuel squirting. When you have fuel squirting, tighten the lines and start the engine!
Hi Curtis,
I am not sure how to check to see if I am getting only fuel out of the bleeder at the injection pump. The bleeder that I was using to bleed the system is the one right at the fuel filter. I did not even know that the injection pump had a bleeder. Could you tell me how to use the bleeder at the injection pump please? where is it located and what does it look like?
It will be on or near the fuel line entering the injection pump. It will be similar to the bleed screw on the fuel filter. You loosen the bleeder and pump the primer to clear any air in the lines and filter. When all you get is clean fuel, tighten the bleeder and try starting. If it does not start, then loosen the injector lines at the injectors, and crank engine until you see fuel squirting. Then tighten the kines and start the engine.
Thank you. I will try that tomorrow or the next day and will report back.
I just looked at the injection pump and also reviewed the manual. There don't seem to be a bleeder at the injection pump. but there is a fuel return line with a knob on it. What is that for?
Also, what is the proper procedure for bleeding the lines. Do I pump the primer first and the loosen the bleeder (similar to brake lines) or loosen the bleeder and then pump the primer?
If I were the loosen the injector lines, do I loosen them at the injection pump or at the other end where its closer to the valve cover?
Loosen the bleeder , then pump the primer. Knob on return may be bleeder. Loosen high pressure lines at the head/valve cover end.
Thank you Curtis! My machine just started!
The radiator on the same machine has a leak an I need to replace it, do you know if it is possible to remove the radiator without completely removing the oil cooler. I am thinking that it might be possible to move the oil cooler out of the way just enough to remove the radiator.
also, the hose that goes to the expansion tank is held in place with these things called Sta-strap, do you know what is the trick to remove these pin-like straps.I guess I am trying to release these straps not remove them.
Strap has to be tightened just one click so it will release from the grooves the teeth bit into. A good pair of pliers should let you un-clip them,or use a screwdriver and tap the teeth in the opposite direction of the teeth. At least you got it running! Thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician