Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a komatsu d65 ex 15 ser.. 67019 engine over heating..

Customer Question
In 85 degrees. .. fluids...
I have a komatsu d65 ex 15 ser.. 67019 engine over heating.. In 85 degrees. .. fluids good.. rad clean. New water pump and thermostat... i entered the computer and entered 1005 for 100 % fan speed.. i changed the number to 120.. and the fan sped up a bit..
but if I go higher the fan turns slower like it is hitting a bypass. Have not checked open circuit press or rpms. .. Also replaced temp sending unit and also bled the system... any ideas? Thanks matt
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/31/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi Matt, My name is***** will be glad to help. If the radiator is not restricted from air flow and the pump and thermostat are new the only other things that can cause this are a restricted radiator cor or restriction of coolant flow, Head gasket problem, or the fan hydraulic motor turning too slow from either a faulty motor or low pressure and flow to the motor from a faulty fan pump putting out low flow of oil. Flow from the pump is what creates the speed of the hydraulic motor so if the pump is not producing enough flow the fan speed will be slower. Copy and paste this link in your browser for the breakdowns of the circuit. Check your hydraulic filter for fine metal indicating a pump or hydraulic motor problem. Let me know
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1824!83!88
I'm just wondering y when I get the display over 140 the fan slows down... do you know what I'm talking about by adjusting the limits?
Thanks for the update. I left the Komatsu dealer and was at Cat when this model came out but Cat uses a similar system on their machines. what I did find for you is a complete PDF service book for your serial number for instant download for under 10 dollars which has the testing an adjusting information, schematics and specs for this machine. There will likely be some fan speed specs and possibly some calibration using the Komatsu software involved if the hydraulic pressure side of the circuit tests within specs. Copy and paste this link in your browser.
https://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/komatsu+d65ex-15+d65px-15+d65wx-15+dozer+bulldozer+service+repair+workshop+manual+download+sn+67001
C . U give me the cfm on this dozer at 100%... thanks
Hi, I do not have the manual with the specs for your model and serial number machine and is why I posted the link but I am not sure it will show a spec for CFM rather than fan RPM that can be taken with a photo tachometer to read the fan speed. Did you download the manual? Let me know.
Hi,Did you get this resolved? I just wanted to follow up to see if you needed any further help or if the information I already provided was satisfactory?
Not resolved... psi on open circuit was 1350 psi should be 2700 or so... rpmc were 1032 should be 1800. Looks like there is an adjustment on the pump fot swaah plate angle..doing this in the am. Another thought is the servo valve.. or could be the fan motor has leakage by it.. seems like it could be several different things.
Thanks mattI'm sorry for all of the typos. Swash plate angle
Hi Matt. Thanks for the update. You should not have to make any adjustments on the pump as it is originally preset unless there is a problem with the pump control valve not allowing the swash plate to reach full stroke/angle. Any adjustments now would actually be compensating for a worn pump. Do you have a flow meter you can put inline in the fan circuit to check to see if the GPM is in specs from the pump? If so you will be looking more towards the fan motor as the problem. It is the flow/GPM which controls the speed of a hydraulic motor. You can have pressure in some cases without the proper flow needed but in this case you seem to be lacking both pressure and flow which leans more towards the pump. As you know, if the pump is failing it could also cause damage to the motor from metal contamination so it could be possible by the end of this you may be looking at both. Keep me posted.