Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a Cat 307C excavator that has always started quickly.

Today nothing. Only a...
Have a Cat 307C excavator that has always started quickly. Today nothing. Only a faint glow on one of the trouble lights & needle on temp. gauge moving. Everything else dead. Batteries are new & fully charged.
What's the problem?
3/30/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

You most likely have a bad connection on a battery feed to the cab. This could also be a poor ground.

Begin by checking the battery cables from each battery to the starter. Inspect ground cables too. Verify the connections are clean and tight. If you see rust, remove the connection and sand or buff out the rust. Follow the battery leads into cab and relays. Inspect all the connections in the same manner. Be sure to look for ground straps on the cab and engine and verify they have a good connection.

Test voltage drop along the connections to see were the power is lost. Have someone move the key switch to on and to start if you find a suspect connection. This may help you pinpoint the problem wire.

Any cable or wire that appears very stiff or swollen may have corrosion inside it. Double check these cables for voltage drop or high resistance.

The only other issue could be a bad relay that does not make connection internally. The large main relay can do this but, I have never seen this issue on the excavators.

If you need more help, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Thanks for the info. Prompt & looks right on target.

As I look at the engine, the starter appears to be on the left side of the block, as you face forward. What's the best way to access this, & the leads from the battery? Removing the plate on top of the engine compartment?

Thanks

Still need answer to second message - best way to access the starter motor & battery leads

I'm sorry I couldn't reply earlier. I'm on another jobsite and have limited access to the internet.
For detailed information about your machine, please post the full serial number of your machine so I can research the correct manual. I will be back online more tonight.