Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a john Deere 260 skid steer it sat unused a

Customer Question
I have a john Deere...
I have a john Deere 260 skid steer it sat unused for over a year. The battery went bad as well as the bucket hose cracked I replaced battery and hoses topped off all fluids and it started fine. Bucket and booms work fine, but when you engage drive levers left side works fine right side is locked up won't move forward or reverse and stalls engine when you try right side left side spins freely what do you think is my problem
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have the hydraulic released park brake? Is it moving when brake is released? Shows on units above S/N 369999 and up.
pin#kv0260a261709 if you shut off brake switch right side will not move
I think the right side brake is locked and does not release.
what would cause that and how could I test to confirm and what would be the cure
Do you here or feel any movement in the chain case? If the drive motor is trying to turn the chains, he problem is in the chain case. If no movement, then the drove motor brake is locked. Follow the linkage from the brake actuator and see if it can be loosened. It is a mechanical brake and if it has rusted from lack of use, it will cause it.
It seems to be a slight nudge in the right side wheels before bogging down if you continue it will bog out and stall
Raise the locked side and manually try to move the wheels. They should have some movement. If they do, problem is going to be in the drive motor and brake.
I will try that and get back but it will be next week I have to go out of town tommorow for a week
OK< thanks for the reply.