Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My case 1835 starts blowing white smoke and loses power after…

My case 1835 starts blowing...
My case 1835 starts blowing white smoke and loses power after 20-30 min, or quicker if doing heavy lifting/work
Let it sit for a minute then white smoke goes away and it's back to normal power
Happens again after a while
I replaced 2 fuel filters, still same issue
What should I check next?
3/28/2015
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 7 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this
Thank you for asking for me
White smoke is over fueling
most probable cause is injectors,
under load they are putting out more fuel then they should
and when you back it off, goes back to a mist , then smoke clears up
I suggest you replace your injectors, or remove them and have them tested
If this helped you, Please rate my answer
If Not, Please USE REPLY BUTTON FOR MORE INFO
It doesn't lose power under load right away, seems like it starts smoking white and losing power when it overheats after working for 20 min. Then if I let it sit idle for a minute its fine again. At times even that doesen't help and it loses power until it stalls completely. Right now it's not even smoking white but has weak power. Full throttle but struggling to drive and lift. If I start it again in an hour it will be back to normal.
Hi Thank you for that
That is a with out a doubt Injectors, Hands Down
that is what all customers say , when describing this issue
Do Your self a favor, just replace them,
by the time you have them checked, and purchase , more then just replacing
Ok thanks I will buy and replace injectors and see if that solves it, I realized it starts smoking and loses power after 20-30 min of just idling, I don't even have to use it
Hi Thank yo u
for that
Please remember to rate my answer, it is NOT AUTO
you need to rate ,my answer, this is how I get credit
Wayne, Journeyman
Thank you
I got the injectors, am I suppose to buy new tee nuts too? These are impossible to take off without ruining the seal
Morning
Yes it is a lot easier to get new ones
I should have mentioned that
Hi
I just changed all 4 injectors and still exactly same issue, zero improvement.
I still Completely lose power after little work and machine starts smoking with thick white smoke.
Hi
thank you for that
What is your operating Temp
Let me know
My water temp gauge is broken, how else can I check operating temp?
Can I video phone you and maybe we can diagnose this better?
I'm told that white smoke can be cracked head gasket and burning coolant, can we rule that out?
Morning
it can be a head gasket,
but it would run hot,cold,hot,cold
you can get a bottle of gas test , pour it into radiator
and check for exhaust gases ,follow the directions on the bottle
get it a a Auto Parts Store
Just did the test, passed, no gases coming out of radiator, nothing to suck up. Blue liquidStarted machine, still heavy white smoke and almost immediately weak power,especially when increasing throttle
What powers the fuel pump? My battery and alternator are questionable
I need to jump start oftenCould those two components not provide the needed power to cause me all this trouble?
Morning
they would not cause the white smoke
white smoke is unburned fuel or anti-freeze
I suggest replacing the thermostats
I don't think the temp is up to operating Temp.
What is the temp where you are at
I should mention that the problem is getting worse, before I was able to work full power for 20 min before white smoke and loss of power, now thick white suffocating smoke starts coming from the moment I start the machine.I'm in Seattle its in the 60s here
Thank you for that
With that being said, pull the head and take to a machine shop
ask to have it magnafluxed to check for cracks
Napa guys told me that the Block exhaust Leak test I did yesterday would not pass if head is cracked, is it not true?
Hi Thank you for that
that is true to a point,
if it is cracked or leaking in a coolant port
the test would show it,
but if it cracked at exhaust port
the test would not pick it up
Ok I will do that, but any chance air in fuel lines would cause this? Maybe I didn't bleed system well enough when changing filter and injectors
Hi ***** would not do it,
it would not start or run if air bound
I wanted to update you, machine once again works perfectly during the first 2 minutes, then engine revs down and powerless as if it's idling, hydraulics struggling and stalling if lifting too much.
I turn ignition off and let machine rest for 5 min, restart and back to full power for 2 min, it's the same cycle over and over.
Wouldn't a cracked head, or head gasket problem cause the symptoms to be always consistent? My oil and coolant levels never dropped since the day I got this too.
Morning
cracked head, when it heats up the crack opens more
shut down cool off, closes crack
either the head or possible valve problem
but you will see when head is removed
The thermostat is completely missing in this motor, not sure if that would contribute to my problems? Somebody took it out and never replaced it
Morning
sorry for the delay,
I had lab test at the VA , just back,
Yes put a thermostat in it
see if the white smoke goes away
No cracks was found, I poured 32oz of blue devil head and block sealer anyways and no improvement.
So if I shut it down for a sec, and start it back up, it goes to full power right away, but 10 seconds max. Then, increasing throttle has no affect.
So it's not like I have to let it cool and rest to get the speed back, if it does and I restart 1 second later I'm back full power for 10-20 seconds then it's back to idling power, regardless how much power I give.
If I shut it down, and restart 1 second later I'm back to full power for 10-20 secs.
I feel like I'm out of options now. Not sure what else to troubleshoot. Water in gas, Which clogged up my fuel filters again? Bad fuel pump, I installed bad injectors?
All fluid levels are normal and always have been, never overheated the motor, never overworked it.
Just noticed that At least one of these new injectors is not seated properly and leaking, especially when I increase throttle, I hope this is the culprit causing low compression, will re install the 2 injectors tomorrow
Morning
Yes this one is a hand full
hard to see what is going on when not there
Hope that injector is the problem
keep me posted