Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a 1600 sullair compressor with the screen reading "error&

We have a 1600 sullair...
We have a 1600 sullair compressor with the screen reading "error" and the unit will not start.
Where should I start looking for the problem.
model 1600hdto
serial###-##-####
BOM 16001600P/236559
3/18/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Here is the procedure for retrieving flash codes. Let me know what you get for flash codes and we can go from there. Also will it crank but not start or not crank at all?
The diagnostic FLASH CODE may be retrieved using this lamp. The lamp is not required for engine operation, however, it can be useful to determine Active diagnostic codes. The lamp will illuminate (ON) at initial ECM power-up to test the lamp operation (self test). Count the first sequence of flashes to determine the first digit. After a two-second pause, count the second sequence of flashes to determine the second digit. Any additional flash code diagnostics will follow (after a pause) and will be displayed in the same manner. In addition to the flash codes described above, the Compass Controller should display a brief text message in the LCD of the master gauge. This message helps to pinpoint the source of the problem
For some initial checks for potential causes check for low coolant or a sensor /harness problem, low fuel or a temp sensor and harness problem.
The electrical system is comprised of not only the necessary equipment required to operate the compressor, but also a system to shut it down in the event of a malfunction. The components of the electrical system are an engine starter (with an integral solenoid), battery, a breaker protected alternator with a built-in voltage regulator), a compressor discharge temperature sensor and receiver tank temperature switch (both will shut down the compressor should the compressor temperature exceed 250
°
F [121
°
C]), an ambient temperature sensor, and a fuel level sensor. This compressor also incorporates an engine coolant level sensor. This device is located in the top of the engine radiator. It will shut the compressor down or prevent it from being started if the engine coolant level drops too low. In addition, there is a starter protection relay which prevents accidental starter engagement after the engine is running or whenever there is pressure in the receiver tank. Also, should fuel supply level drop near the bottom of the fuel tank, the Compass Controller will shut down the machine before the engine runs out of fuel. There are also several connectors in the main harness that are designed to receive wiring for factory options such as remote start, cold weather louvers, engine air stop valve, and ether start system. The electrical system also incorporates a lockable battery disconnect to be utilized for extended periods of non use and during machine maintenance.
Dan, Technician