Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Case 580 K P.I.N. JJG0022943 having with the

forward and reverse shuttle it...
I have a Case 580 K P.I.N. JJG0022943 having with the forward and reverse shuttle it does not always go in gear some times goes in ok other times a little sluggish some times not at all need help
sorry looks like I missed a word it should be
having trouble with the forward and reverse shuttle
3/9/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help you with this. First check the oil level and condition for signs of discoloration or burnt smell. Also, check the filter and strainer for signs of metal/debris that would indicate an internal failure or transmission pump failure occurring. Let me know the result. If it is clean then the next step will be to have your pressures checked and confirmed they are in OEM specs to help isolate a sticking valve or excessive internal leakage, or a faulty pump. Let me know the results and I will be glad to help further if needed.
thanks Dan
ok let me up date you on what I have checked so far fluid level is ok I changed the spin on filter on the torque converter cut it open and it had a lot of very fine metal in it bear in mind that the backhoe was run hard for approximately 20 years and this is the first time that filter was changed. the filter change made a difference but would still get intermittent non response from the shuttle. I just this morning drained the trans and took out the screen to examine it I found some small flakes in there not much I was informed by case dealer that a spool in the control valve could have something wore in it so that something might be floating around and causing it to act intermittently so I have just got that off but have not taken it apart
Kurt
Hi Kurt. Fine metal is a sign of failure occurring. If aluminum it would be converter and if metal it is an indication of pump or other internal problems. To help you with parts breakdowns during disassembly copy and paste this link in your browser.
http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54946ag42689
For a PDF complete manual with all your specs, test, adjusting, and assembly/disassembly information for under 30.00 copy and paste this link in your browser. This will also give you your pressure specs and test port locations as well.
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/275939174-case-580k-580-super-k-loader
Thanks for the response
Fyi I have tore down the control valve and everything seems to be ok.
so yes it does look like mostly aluminum however there are small flakes and debris that are steel what should I do next remove torque converter and check, or pull out transaxle and start tearing it down
Hi Adam, aluminum will be your converter so it is possible you may get by with doing the converter and a new charge pump and flushing the system and oil cooler. sometimes it is just better to replace the cooler rather than take a chance. If there are a lot of hours on the machine then it is up to you whether you want to do both but it may be worthwhile going for the converter and charge pump.
thanks Dan
in looking in my ,manuals I will be taking off the converter housing to get to the converter and the charge pump comes with the housing. will I be able to tell if the pump is ok by looking at it or should I just replace it? and would I use solvent to flush out the system?
Pleasure to help Adam. It will be a gear type pump. What happens is the machined surfaces wear and the pump will put out less volume over time. The first thing you loose is lube pressure which helps cool and lubricate the convertor and transmission and that is when you start overheating the seals, internal components, and clutches in the transmission. I would just do the pump and the converter. Do not use solvent to flush the transmission. Get what you can out of the lines and send the cooler out or replace it. Use brake clean and compressed air and lots of shop towels. some solvents might destroy the internal seals and clutches. You try to get as much as possible in the valves etc. Once back together see if there is a higher micron filter and just run it under a load and do a few filter only changes to catch the rest while cutting them open each time to see how things look. Chang the oil within 100 hours unless the final filter is looking real clean then you would be fine.
Hi Dan
My work got the best of me the last couple of days I haven't even seen my computer until now
one of my jobs took me by a case dealer so I went in to try to get parts. I took the filter in with me to get a service tech to look at it, and I walked into a break room with about 5 of them and when looking what was in the filter they were sure of torque converter and said to do the charge pump while I am already in there.(just as you already knew) so they had a converter but had to order the charge pump hope to see it by the first of the week. meanwhile I will tear everything down change the torque converter & flush the lines. I just dropped the cooler off to get flushed he said he would flush it for 2 days to be sure it got clean.so with any luck I should be done about the middle of next week. also the lifter cover is leaking oil it looks like I can slide it out the back if I take off the fuel filters. Will that work?
thanks for your help it is great! Kurt
Thanks for the update Kurt. I think you will be in good shape once you get this back together as long as there are no other issues with the transmission. The flakes you found there may be from normal wear over time but you will know for sure once you get power back to it from the pump and converter. For your valve cover I can not answer in any detail without seeing what is in the way as they added so many accessories between serial numbers and years of machines it would be tough to say without putting an eye on it what would be the quickest way and the least amount to remove to maneuver it out of there. If it looks like there will be enough room to lift it high enough to clear the rocker arms and slide it out then by all means give it a shot. This is the upper valve cover you are referring to if I am not mistaken? You will need to raise it up a couple inches at least to clear the rocker arms.
it is right behind the injector pump it does look like it will work. the pictures in the book only show the valve. rods doesn't look like any thing sticks out I will give it a shot I would like to avoid removing the injector pump
thanks for the help KurtHi Dan
I just pulled out the torque converter and a shaft dumped out of it and it looks to be part of the charge pump seems like I might be going in the right direction
shaft is about 4.75" long with splines on the outside on one end and it has a hole through it so it slides over the shaft from the converter housing
thanks Kurt
Thanks for the update Kurt. Sounds like you are on the right track. Once you get it torn down you will be able to do up a list of seals and any other parts you see that look questionable or worn.
Dan, Technician
Sorry I have been busy with a deadline I am trying to meet but with great thanks to you I believe I will make it,
all parts are installed, all back together and running I even was able to use on Saturday for a few hours plenty of power very positive shuttle action forward and reverse very sharp and crisp am very happy thank you very much
Kurt
Thanks for the update Kurt. Glad to hear the great news. It has been a pleasure to help.