Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 236b skidsteer. I start the engine and the armrest…

I have a 236b skidsteer...
I have a 236b skidsteer. I start the engine and the armrest indicator and parking brake flash. The auxillary hydraulics work but the machine won't move
2/25/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Test all your fuses on both sides for power with the IGN switch on as a blown fuse for the Interlock circuit could cause these symptoms. Check your relays and also the interlock safety switches and harness ( safetybar, seat, door switch if equipped) If any of these switches are not engaging your park brake will not release and the functions will be disabled. The ECMs receive signal from these safety switches. Click this link to access a pdf file of over 200 pages that will help you in troubleshooting and some diagrams. Troubleshooting B series machines.

Here are your schematics. B series Schematics

Let me know if you need further help

Dan, Technician

One follow-up.

I'm sure this is covered in your documentation, but where is the fuse box?

This problem occurred about 3 days ago and as I was tinkering around with it I happened to glance at the panel of lights and they had stopped flashing, the parking brake light was on, but not flashing. The machine worked like a charm. It went like this for, as I said, 3 days, then today it started acting up again. I use it to power a log splitter I built and am desperate. I can't look at it until at least tomorrow because the snow has to melt. I'm really at a loss here. I read on a heavy machine forum that I could run a wire from the joy-stick solenoids to a hot in the fuse box and it would run. Comments?

I would not use jumper wires on that circuit as there are two ECMs that you could likely cause a voltage spike resulting in a failed ECM. Highly not recommended to do that. The fuse panel is below the seat behind the panel with two screws. Here is the operators manual for further help and component and fuse identification. Operators manual.

My last question of the day, honest. This machine is now outside and about 50 yards from my shop, where all my tools are. I heard somewhere these things have a "wet brake" so without being able to run the hydraulics (except for the auxillary hydraulics) am I stuck working outside and spending all my time walking back and forth for that next tool?

Hi the parking brake is spring pressure applied and hydraulic released. On some machines you can tee in with a portapower to pump up and release the brake being careful not to overpressurize the seals. I dont have the tow procedure readily available for this machine unfortunately but I will see if I can find out for you.

I know this is sorta dumb on my part, but I have been held up due to my wife having open heart surgery and I haven't been able to get to this issue. I was browsing the web and see where this question was posed to Adam Sntr and wondered if you could see if there was a resolution to it. I have bought a probe and at this point the skidsteer is covered with show, so all I really need is to know if the question was answered 4 years ago by this Adam Sntr or if I can even get that info.

Do you have the link to the question?

http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equipment/3gcpy-cat-277b-skid-steer-parked-fine.html

Thansk for the info. The question was relisted from the initial experts replies for an unsatisfactory answer and the second expert who took over the question posted some troubleshooting info from the service book as follows .

Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

graphic
View Full Image

(1) Armrest indicator

(2) Parking brake indicator

Occupy the seat.

Place the armrest in the DOWN position.

Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator should be off and the parking brake indicator should be on.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator is off and the parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 9.

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing and the parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.

NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".

Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine.

Remove the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness for the ECM.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 4.
Test Step 4. CHECK THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool pilot solenoid.

Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool pilot solenoid.

Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool pilot solenoid.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 5.
Test Step 5. CHECK THE WORK TOOL DETENT COIL FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool detent coil. The detent coil is located beneath the right hand joystick. Remove the access panel in order to get to the connector.

Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool detent coil.

Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool detent coil has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool detent coil.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO THE + BATTERY TERMINAL

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 29 (wire H416-GN) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 24, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

The resistances should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms on at least one of the readings.

Stop.

Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 24 (wire 126-PK) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.

Stop.

Test Step 8. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 66 (wire 975-WH) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

Stop.

Test Step 9. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Note: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.

Press and release the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator should be off.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator are off.
Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

NOT OK - Both indicators are flashing. Proceed to Test Step 10.

Stop.

Stop.

Test Step 10. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT

Remove the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 29 to contact 68 (wire H416-GN to wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is more than one problem. Start by troubleshooting one of the fault indicators. See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing" or Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is considerably greater than 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is an open in the return solenoid wire. Check all connections. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

thanks for the response, dan. we'll figure something out to get me straight with you on the money end. I splurged on a powerprobe 3, and it's pretty nice, but now I'm having trouble getting the damn thing to turn over. it's like a fuse, an interlock, or a wire, or something. I can't afford Cat charges, so i'll just have to keep soldiering on.

Pleasure to help. Test all your fuses with the IGN switch on. the operators manual I posted will give you the fuse locations. If the fuses test good and the battery connections and grounds are good with a good tested battery you should have power to the starter s terminal on the solenoid with the IGN switch in the cranking position. Ifso and the starter will not respond you have a faulty starter solenoid/starter assembly. If there is no power there is a problem between the IGN switch and starter. The schematic will help you to identify the circuits to test. Check the fuses and relays first always. Be very careful with using the power option in your power probe since the possibility of backfeeding and shorting out ans ECM is real.