Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have recently purchased a 1994 Cat 320 9KK. Tracks will…

I have recently purchased a...
I have recently purchased a 1994 Cat 320 9KK. Tracks will not turn left or right without using the boom and swing to help it turn. What could be the problem??
2/21/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Alvie, my name is***** will be glad to help. When you need to operate another function to get other functions to operate it usually points to a potential pump problem with one pump not stroking to two pump flow. Check your hydraulic filter for signs of metal/debris indicating a pump failure occurring and inspect your relief valves in the main control valve for damaged o rings or debris causing them to stick open. If ok then the next step is to confirm your pressures are within OEM specs. If travel is the only function affected then you could also have failed rotary manifold seals allowing pressure to bypass in the manifold effecting the pressure and flow to the travel motors. Resealing the rotary manifold is actually part of the troubleshooting process for travel problems as it would be more time and effort to test as opposed to just replacing the common wear seals. Let me know if you need more help.

Dan, Technician