Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a late 90s 773 that will drive,lift and lower but will…

Customer Question
I have a late 90s...
I have a late 90s 773 that will drive,lift and lower but will not tilt. I have changed the fluid and filters and it did not change.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/21/2015
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 7 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Hello, a few questions I have to know a little more about your machine;

Is it a G Series with triangle shaped headlights?

Is it a standard control machine (foot pedals and drive levers only) or Advanced Hand Controls?

Do you hear three beeps from the alarm?

It is a G series and I was getting three beeps on the alarm but it has no alarm now and yes it levers and foot pedals.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, had to take the dog to the vet, seems to have an eye infection. And the snow we got made it an adventure. Smile

Ok, 773G, if the drive functions ok and you don't have a problem with the lift function, that indicates the BICS lock valve is working proper. Whenever you hear three beeps from the alarm on that machine that's an indication that the ECM is seeing a fault somewhere in the electrical system, don't touch anything else, do not turn the engine off, instead, the very moment you hear the beeps push and hold down the headlight button, this will bring up the active fault codes in the hour meter display that's causing the beeps.

Now that I know you have a standard control machine (drive sticks and foot pedals), when you say the tilt won't work, are you able to move the foot pedal fully in both directions at that moment?

I am able to move the foot pedal in both directions and it sounds like the hydro is getting the input but it does not move.

Ok, this is going to be a tricky problem to troubleshoot, at least tricky in figuring out the best (easy) way to pinpoint what's causing the problem with the tilt circuit.

Just to recap and confirm where we are:

Drive and loader arms up/dwn work fine, confirms BICS unlock valve is operating properly.

Bucket tilt won't tilt up or down.

You are able to move the foot pedal for bucket tilt fully in both directions, confirms spool lock solenoid for bucket tilt spool is operating properly.

A couple of things that can cause this problem that you're going to have to sort through:

1) BICS pilot operated lock valve (inside control valve) is not working (stuck?) which locks the tilt circuit.

2) Blown piston seal in one of the tilt cylinders which lets fluid pass straight through to return circuit without actuating cylinders.

3) One of the auxiliary circuit solenoid valves is partially engaged, when this happens it does funky and unpredictable things to lift or tilt circuit.

Problem #3 is probably the easiest to eliminate. If you have an attachment for your machine, take the two hoses off of the attachment and join them together, then connect the hoses to the quick couplers at the front of the machine, this basically makes a loop for the auxiliary circuit and negates problems with lift/tilt that would be related to partially engaged aux solenoid valve.

Problem #2 would require disconnecting hoses from one tilt cylinder, plug hoses with proper JIC plugs, then operate tilt to see if the opposite cylinder works. Operate the cylinder gently though as it will puke oil out of the opposite cylinder hose ports if it moves. After testing one cylinder, do the same to the opposite cylinder.

Problem #1 is a little more tricky as it's a component in the main control valve, I'm still studying as to the best way for you to troubleshoot that part and will reply back.

One more question, does your machine have the bucket self leveling option?

No self leveling.

Ok, cool, fairly basic machine, much easier to maintain and repair than more complex models.

Alright, that last part, the BICS pilot operated lock valve, this is what your main control valve should look like. The BICS lock valves are noted with a 1 in the pic. Remove both lock valve cartridges from the control valve body. Inspect the o-rings on the cartridge valves, replace o-rings and back up rings if necessary. Now, swap the location of the two cartridge valves, the one you pulled from the left side stick in in the right side and vice versa. Now operate the machine and see how lift and tilt works/responds.

Let me know what you find after you've done these steps.

graphic
One thing that still bugs me about this, in an earlier post you stated you were getting beeps from that alarm, but not now. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's not related (a different problem), but any time you hear three beeps from the alarm on a G series, that means the ECU is seeing a problem in the electrical system. That's the part that bugs me, the steps I've mentioned to check your problem are not related to the electrical system. I know I'm not at the machine and checking these things out, but it's just something that is bugging my mind. I guess I just need to have another beer and relax, wait for you to report back, it's just the wrench bender in me gets hung up on this stuff. Smile

I think the alarm was due to a battery problem that was happening at the same time the tilt problem started. I will most likely have a chance to work on the 773 on Tuesday and I will let you know what happens Thanks.

Ok, that makes more sense. I'll be waiting for your update. Smile