Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2000 2800 Quatum Link Belt that has developed a computer…

I have a 2000 2800...
I have a 2000 2800 Quatum Link Belt that has developed a computer problem. When you first turn the key on the service monitor just flashes and goes blank. Also the dial for the throttle no longer works. You have to push the manual up and down to rev up the engine. This is just a backup machine for me but with no screen I have no gauges and no way to change travel speed. Are these problems anything you have heard of before. Let me know if you have any info. on fix. Thanks. John.
2/5/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi John, my name is***** will try to help. I worked on these machines at the dealer years ago. You could have a dead monitor panel, a short or problem with the harness, or a problem with the controller(ECU), If the panel is trying to power up then it shows it is getting power initially. You will need to inspect the harness and connector pins for damage, Test all your fuses and check your relays, verify power and ground to the panel and inspect your main power and grounds between the batteries, battery relay, and starter. You should be able to find some of this stuff salvage through a salvage dealer to save some money once it is diagnosed. I recommend getting the manual with the schematics and test info to save you a lot of headache troubleshooting. If There is nothing obvious in the harness, fuses and relays then the next step is to test the system following the schematics in the manual. You could likely find a used manual on e bay or some other sites. Here is one option. http://www.ssbtractor.com/miscellaneous_tractor_manuals_11.html

Let me know if you need more help

I got screen back on by pushing backup and reset buttons. An alarm comes on that there is an electrical problem. I can not set clock and the dial for the throttle still does not work. I have unhooked the button on right joy stick for throttle as the manual said this could affect dial. If you push stop alarm button then the beeper stops but red light and message still are on. I have checked all connections that I can see. I have unhooked batteries to see if the computer will reset. Is there a way to see a code without a lap top to know what the electrical problem is?

Hi John, Thanks for the update. It has been a while but I do remember there being some diagnostic switches under a plastic cover to the right behind the operators seat but do not recall the procedure. It was the same for Case, JCB, and linkbelt as they have the same cab electronics (Sumotomo). Check your fuses and relays and just for test purposes disconnect the bat post to the alternator and tape off to prevent arcing as I seem to recall a similar issue where the alternator was shorted and backfeeding but there was a fuse blowing in that case but it did throw off the display panel. Also check the IGN switch for power an and out and try a wiggle test on the key and harness in the RH console to see if it uncovers any loose connections. Let me know

I have checked all connections that I can find. Can't find the diagnostic switches that you talk about. I checked batteries and found one was weak. I changed that one out but have taken all lift cylinders off for re-packing of seals so I can't take machine out of shop yet to run. The screen still says electrical problem but that may just need runtime if batteries are low or something. The alarm can just be turned off I guess. My grandfather always told me just check the oil and water if they are ok then run it. I have another question about my Cat 315CL. Do I go through paying again or how does this process work? Thanks for the help. John

Hi John, Thanks for the updated info. I recommend testing the bateries individually with a digital tester to verify there are no dead cells and they pass the test and the alternator is charging with the engine running at 2-4 volts above battery voltage. It is a good idea to start a new question if it is a different machine. How it works is your deposit for your question stays with the site and when you leave positive feedback or accept an experts answer they get a percentage of the question value for their time answering. Until that happens, the experts time is voluntary. You can request a particular expert as well on any new questions. I was field service for Cat in the past and there is another expert on here as well that still is field service for Cat. Let me know
Dan, Technician