Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Skid Steer LX465: Ran right and it has been parked

for 3 months. When we...
Skid Steer LX465: Ran right and it has been parked for 3 months. When we turn the key on an alarm sounds ... it is very hard to start and we can only get it started on starting fluid. There are no lights on the dash. The alarm/beeper continues even once
it's started and when we hit run ... it stalls. It will not turn over in run. We have checked the operator presence switches and the seat belt switch. The hydraulics also do not work. The vehicle will move if we leave it in service mode, but it is not usable
or drive-able in the normal sense.
2/4/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Have you been into the fuse panel where the relays are and the solenoids? This could be corroded or could have got moisture in it. Sounds like you need to clean all the connections and check the solenoids and relays. Look for any rodent damage, mice love wiring. This is the panel with the plastic cover over it.Has the starter solenoid relay and the solenoid for the control valve lockout.
Hi Curtis,
We've checked all the things you suggested and found no issues. We have determined that we have power going to the ignition switch and the run switch, yet have no power going to the control panel. Prolly barking up the wrong tree ... but ... could loader security have anything to do with these issues? We have never entered (never even knew about it) a 2 digit security code ... just did not know that if it is faulty that it might be looking for a code that doesn't exist???Anything else you can suggest checking?Thanks,
Mark
I doubt it is code problem. But if no power to the panel, work backward from panel to see where the power is lost. Has to be bad connection or a relay that is not closing.
Hmmm ... not having any luck finding an issue in these areas.Can you think of anything else to check or try?
Do you have full battery voltage to the main panel? Are you testing with a voltmeter? Do you have same to the keyswitch panel? If not, you have to find the loss of voltage! From my chair, it's not easy to tell you where to check! But full battery voltage should be to all points, and it has to start at the battery and cables!
OK ... power to the keyswitch, but nothing to the dash (no lights at all). I am told that it has become progressively hard to start, even before it broke down, to the point (even though not recommended) we had to use starting fluid to get it going. Also, I am told when you turn the key on there is a countdown ... when complete it tells you it is OK to start .... it does not do that.Any more ideas are appreciated.
Engine hard starting is because the glow plugs are not working. That is the countdowns purpose, to give the glow plugs time to heat up. With keyswitch having voltage, but none after the keyswitch.?? You have verified all the fuses are good? And no evidence of damage. Without a service manual with the wiring schematic, I don't have a way of knowing where the power for the panel or timer comes from. Maybe the glow plug timer is the key!
We will recheck the fuses (pretty sure they all checked good b4) ... what started all this is that we pulled it up to replace a worn chain/sprocket in the panel on the rh side. Just got the parts for it and find that we need to remove the large disks (emer brake?) to get to that area. How do we release remove them ... it appears to be held at the back by what looks like a brake caliper????
never mind on disks ... got it
OK
All fuses checked out again ... and, yes ... we use a multimeter (you asked earlier).
Does this unit have 2 solonoids? If so, what is each of their purposes? We'd like to know the answers regardless, but lastly ... could either of them have anything to do with this/these issue(s).
One solenoid is for starter, one is for holding the lock solenoids on the control valve. I doubt either have anything to do wit it. I'm thinking relay or fuse.
we prefer to stick with you, when you are online we would like to go into chat.
I saw a new question from you. The second solenoid is the one that has t unlock the foot pedals, the control valve has two solenoids that have pins that lock the valve spools. I'm really at a loss, I would try to use a test light or the voltmeter and test from keyswitch to the panel and see if you an find where the voltage is lost. With no power to the panel. it seems to be right there! Maybe the key switch is not transferring the power to the dash.???
The center post white wires off the keyswitch in on position is only .3. When you turn the switch to the run mode, the engine stalls out, why? When it is in starting mode is 12 voltsDoes the dash panel go bad? could that be our problem.
The dash panel does go bad. The engine dies when you go to run mode, because the fuel solenoid looses voltage. It has to have full 12 volts at all times the key is on. Where so the white wires go to? If they are power wires, jump 12 volts to them ,with a jumper wire and see if it works.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
How can we bypass the dashboard? Tried everything else.
You can't bypass the panel.