Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 246C open can Unit parking brake randomly engages in the yellow exclamation l…

Customer Question
I have a cat 246C...
I have a cat 246C open can Unit parking brake randomly engages in the yellow exclamation light comes on? I did find one corroded connection which I changed underneath of the cab and I looked for others and did not find anything.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/21/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, thank you for requesting me.
I see your machine does not have the monitor in the right console. That limits the amount of troubleshooting you can perform. The monitor has some options to view fault codes and could help point to the current problem. Without it, you have to guess at which switch maybe at fault.
The main switches to look at are the seat switch and the armrest switch. A door switch would also be use if you had the enclosed cab. The open cab will have a bypass harness in the left console.
The armrest switch is in the left armrest frame.
The seat switch is inside the bottom cushion.
The wire for the seat switch is out the back of the seat and can be tested at this connection.
The armrest switch is a possible issue. It has been updated to stop water entry.
Your may need a cover and a new switch to help stop this problem.
Here or the details.
Description of Change: C-Series machines now come equipped with a silicone cover for the Arm Bar Switch. The cover protects the switch from unwanted intrusion of water and airborne contaminates.
Adaptable To: The(###) ###-####Cover is adaptable to the following machines.
246C (S/N: JAY1-6273)
Parts needed:
Parts
Item Qty Part Number Description
1 1 (###) ###-#### Cover
2 1 8T-4223 Hard Washer
A 8T-4223 Hard Washer must be placed on the base of the plunger to provide the proper positioning for the switch. Torque the cover to 2.25 ± 0.25 N·m (20 ± 2 lb in).
The(###) ###-####Cover is available through Morton Parts and can be adapted to earlier machines.
The switch part number is(###) ###-#### ***** would install a new one to see if that fixes the issue.
If testing the switches do not show a problem, the next option is to have the dealer connect their service software (CAT ET) to find the fault code related to your problem.
Speed sensors in the drive motors have given trouble too. Any replacement of the sensors also require calibration of the sensors and this too requires the CAT ET software to complete the installation.
If I remove the wheel speed sensor's does oil come out or is it a dry system? And if I remove the sensor just to check it does this require recalibrating? If I wanted to get the software to my computer what is the procedure for that and where can I get it?Also what the operator is telling me while they're using the machine the parking brake is engaging and only the yellow exclamation caution light flashes

Oil will leak out of the drive but, if will not be under pressure. If left open, it can drain the tank.

Removing and installing the sensor will not require calibration. If you swap sides or install a new one, then it must be calibrated.

The dealer is the only source for the service software. Most dealers only sell one version and it is usually a $5000 subscription. (This is a common version used by Quarries and Mines but covers all machines.) The protocol is CAT proprietary and no other reader will read the CDL (Cat Data Link) protocol.

Your dealer may offer a different solution, it is best to ask them directly about what they can offer.

Engines use J1939 protocol and many reader can view these codes. This is usually what the other readers mean when they claim they read CAT codes.

For additional money can you find me a wiring schematic if possible

That is copyrighted material and must be purchased from the dealer.

I can help you with a connection and identifying wires but, I cannot send you a full schematic.

With the key in the on position and the yellow ! Flashing does that mean anything and will not go out of park?

Not much, the other indicators can have different meanings but, the Driver alert has the warning levels associated with it.

From your owners manual,

1 - Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires the operator's attention.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

• Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Investigate the cause. If no additional alert indicators are illuminated, contact your Caterpillar dealer or refer to the service manual.

• Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Change your operation or perform the indicated maintenance.

• Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and stop the engine.

The engine has two colors. Red for a fault and amber for air filter plugged.

The A and B models used the park light for diagnostic function but, the C model has a larger ECM and they moved all diagnostics to ET and the monitor option.