Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

242B3 bucket and boom hydraulics won't engage but the 4in1…

242B3 bucket and boom hydraulics...
242B3 bucket and boom hydraulics won't engage but the 4in1 clamp and drive still works? any ideas, a switch or somthing else?
1/11/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
The auxiliary controls are not part of the pilot control systems.
The solenoids that control them are separate.
You have a problem with the pilot system only.
This could be an interlock problem were a safety feature has not be met.
Check your door switch first.
Do you have any flashing lights?
Does the armrest or park brake light work?
What is the full serial number of this machine?
vin/chassis: CAT0242bhsrs01498. the park light works, apparently no flashing lights but still drives, was hoping it was just a switch on the panel someones messed with or something
You could have the implement lockout switch turned on as well.
If someone is playing with the switches, this one will turn off the pilot controls.
Hydraulic Lockout and Interlock Override (first switch at the operators right)
Hydraulic Lockout - Press the top of the switch in order to disable the hydraulic functions. Press the top of the switch again in order to activate the hydraulic functions.
Note: Activate the hydraulic shutoff when you are roading the machine in order to prevent unplanned movement of the work tool and the loader arms.
Interlock Override - The interlock override allows the auxiliary hydraulic circuits to function with the armrest in the RAISED position. First activate the continuous flow control that is located on the left side joystick. Refer to the section "Joystick and Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls" for detailed information. Press the bottom of the interlock override switch in order to activate the interlock override function. In order to turn off the interlock override and continuous flow, press the bottom of the switch again.
------ WARNING! ------
Inadvertent movement of the work tool may occur if the interlock override function is used with work tools. This may result in personal injury or death. Only use interlock override function for hand-held work tools.
----------------------
Note: The alert indicator for the parking brake will light when the interlock override is activated. When the interlock override is deactivated, press the parking brake switch in order to disengage the parking brake and activate the hydraulic functions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE
Do not leave the machine unattended while you have the interlock override function activated.
A switch is provided on the cab door that prevents implement operations when the cab door is open. If there is no cab door, install a jumper wire between Terminal 2 and Terminal 4 in the wiring harness connector for the Window Wiper. The jumper connector is located on the wiring harness just above the window washer fluid tank on the left side in the cab. Refer to Special Instruction, REHS1738, "Installing the Cab Door and Mounting Group" for more information about the cab door.
Note: When the door is installed, remove the jumper wire from the connector plug before you connect the harness. Damage to the door could occur if the jumper is left in place.
Thank you, ***** ***** checking now and just asked if the red emergency release valve next to the operator is supposed to have resistance or be pretty free as this one is. Thanks
Thanks for the reply.
This valve is very small and will not have much resistance.
You may feel a slight detent when it first moves.
If the machine is in a corrosive environment, it may become difficult to move.
No sorry they don't feel anything at all. also as they move the lever and then try they hydros they cant even hear the the pump trying at ALL. With the fact it can still drive all the time makes us think it shouldn't be a safety device or the park brake should turn on. does this evidence seem as though it would be the cable for that valve or the valve its self. Sorry with the persistence we are just having trouble getting a fitter there as it is in a remote location. Thanks again
I looked at the parts book and saw it is a lever directly on the valve. The reason you don't feel anything on the valve may be the line has no load on it.
Your park brake light should flash when you have an issue for the travel controls. The armrest light should flash when the safety interlocks are the issue. If no lights are flashing, check the door switch.
Later machines like the B3 series may only flash the Alert indicator to inform you of a fault.
Anything electrical should give some indication of a problem. Unless a switch is not working and the controller just sees it as off.
So, if both lights are working and the door switch or the implement lock switch in not the problem, you may have a hydraulic problem with the implement controls.
Since the machine will move, the drive coupling is good. If you see the fan turning, the pumps are driving. The only items left are the implement controls. Either the pilot valve is not sending flow to the implement joystick or the main relief is stuck open in the control valve.
Testing the hydraulics will involve several different tools.
This machine is a B3 version and the diagnostics do not work the same as earlier models. You may need the dealer or someone with the CAT ET software and tooling to connect to the machine to find the actual problem.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thank you so much, I will try that. GREAT SERVICE!!