Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Our Ford 555D backhoe will not go forward or reverse? We were…

Our Ford 555D backhoe will...
Our Ford 555D backhoe will not go forward or reverse? We were using it filling trucks thought 2 things about why it won't work 1. the red buttons on gear shift and hydralic lever or out of transmition fluid. Darrell
the backhoe has a f or r switch
12/30/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
The buttons kick transmission into neutral when the are pushed. So the button switch has to be in an open position for the transmission to work. There should be one on the gear shift, one on hydraulic lever and some have switch on the floor. Any one can keep transmission disconnected. Locate the electric solenoid on the torques converter/shuttle housing and see if it has battery voltage to it. It should NOT have power unless one of the de-clutch buttons is closed.
1 question there is a foot pedistal Does it have a solenoid on the end of it. I've never used it? I'm not sure what it is for
Pedal can be for a Hydraulic hammer for backhoe, used to activate the hammer! Or there is a pedal to lock the rear axle.
What does solenoid look like? Is there just one? Is it operated by electric wires the pedal is to be pushed by foot It is my thought it locks the axle.
If this the pedal on the backhoe end of the platform, it has nothing to do with the transmission.
no it has nothing to do with hoe it is only used with the tractor like a axle lock I will crawl under back hoe to check out solenoid. Thanks
ok, Thanks.
where is this solenoid evidently it has wires running into it. How do I know where to find it? Darrell
The valve assembly is directly behind the engine bell housing on the top of the torque converter housing. The electric shifter, goes into a controller, and the wires from controller goes to the solenoid valve. Any loose wires or bad connection at the f/r controller can affect the operation.
how many wires coming out of it? and does it unscrews with threads?
?
.I was looking for a way to attach a picture. Sorry. Here is link to the New Holland site. Go to the New Holland Construction , input model 555D, and go to the transmission/driveline. look at the shuttle control section.---------------------------http://www.messicks.com/newhollandparts.aspx?utm_expid=152548-4&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3B_ylt%3DAqq_eY5qL1eA_tGObVWp9qqbvZx4%3Fp%3Dnew%2Bholland%2Bparts%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701
I think it is the solenoid but it has rained it is sitting in mud and can't get under it.
Can it be pulled about a mile and not hurt the converters.? back to the shop area Darrell Thanks for all your help. Darrell
It won't hurt the torque converter to pull it a short distance.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
thanks alot for your advice, will pull it with a dozer and look it over. Thanks
i assume you are going to run the 555D so you can steer and control it. This will let the torque converter keep the fluid cool and cause no problems.
I took it to heavy equiptment repair man He thought at first it sounded electrical problem. Let you know when I hear from him.m Darrell
OK< thanks for the reply!