Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2007 cat 257b. The other day I went to use it and…

I have a 2007 cat...
I have a 2007 cat 257b. The other day I went to use it and the bucket would not stay curled. I took the bucket off and was able to move the the plate to the dump position with my hand. It is just weight and gravity that is pulling it down. All other hydraulics are working correctly. There does not seem to be any fluid lose
12/26/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
catmastertech :

catmastertech :

Does the bucket drift up when you lift the machine with it?

catmastertech :

Do you have any damage on the cylinders?

catmastertech :

If the cylinders are good, you may need to check the leveling valve located at the right rear corner of the engine bay.

catmastertech :

This valve can have debris stuck in it and cause the system to drift.

Customer: The cylinders look ok no noticeable damage. If you use the bucket to pick up the machine it works fine no release
catmastertech :

I would check that leveling valve next.

Customer: What does that look like and
catmastertech :

It is a metal block at the right rear corner in the engine bay area. It has a solenoid, a relief and a couple of steel tubes connected to it.

Customer: Is that the black box with 4 lines going in and a seinod on it
Customer: Is there an easy way to check this or do I have to take it completely apart
catmastertech :

No, it must be removed to clean it. You could try the solenoid to see if a seal failed on it but, you still need to clean it thoroughly and try to determine what caused the problem.

catmastertech :

If you find rubber, you have a damaged hose. If you find metal, you have a damaged cylinder.

Customer: Ok would the self leveling switch in the cab have any thing to do with this ?
catmastertech :

No.

Customer: Good morning I cleaned the the leveling valve. Put new o rings and seloniod. I still have the same problem
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Thanks for the reply. I usually work during the day and answer questions on this site at night. I hope this is not too much an inconvenience for you. If it is, just let me know and I will OPT-OUT so others may help you.

Did you find any debris in the relief valve, block or any of the lines?

Have you tried switching the relief valves on the main control valve?

Sometimes a machine can be overloaded and the relief valve will open and stick open. This can also cause the bucket to drift.

The next step would be to test the relief valves for there pressure setting.

You will need tooling to connect to the implement hydraulic pump and test the stall pressure of each circuit.

The main relief is set at 3336 psi and the line reliefs for each circuit are set higher. So if any function is lower, you could have a failed relief valve. If a circuit is weak in both directions, the cylinder maybe the problem.

The only way to fix a failed relief is to remove the main control valve. Access is very limited under the valve so replacing them in the frame is nearly impossible.

Same as the other block, removal is easier and you should clean it and replace the seals while it is out.

Let me know what you find and if I can help you further.

Thankyou for the help. There was no debris in the leveling or in the lines. Where would I find the main control valve and the relief valves

The main control valve is under the cab. Raise the cab and it will be on the right side of the machine (viewed from operators seat position).

The relief valve are under the valve. A standard valve will have the auxiliary section closest to the frame side. (It will have a solenoid on each end). The next section is for the tilt control and the inside section is for the loader lift control. Some have a fourth section with very small lines and solenoids.

I have found the main control valve what do the relief valves look like
Here is the location of the reliefs.

I will try again something happened to my upload.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

(1) The 298-1309 Relief Valve

The relief pressure setting ... 23000 ± 172 kPa (3336 ± 25 psi)
The flow rate for the relief valve pressure setting ... 58.7 L/min (15.5 US gpm)
Torque for the relief valve ... 45 ± 5 N·m (33 ± 4 lb ft)
Torque for the relief valve nut ... 24 ± 3 N·m (18 ± 2 lb ft)

(2) The 216-6160 Relief Valve

The relief valve pressure setting ... 24500 ± 345 kPa (3555 ± 50 psi)
The flow rate for the relief valve pressure setting ... 3.79 L/min (1.0 US gpm)

(3) The 216-6161 Relief Valve

The relief valve pressure setting ... 27600 ± 345 kPa (4005 ± 50 psi)
You can swap 2 for 2 or 3 for 3 but do not swap 2 for 3 or 3 for 2. This will cause the pressure lower in the wrong circuit/