Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

volvo 160b lc having issues after running for an hour or so,

Customer Question
runs fine and then machine...
volvo 160b lc having issues after running for an hour or so, runs fine and then machine start a weirds noise when working the arm/stick lever and feel a weird vibration. Almost like something is sticking on the machine, you can kill the machine, come back in an hour runs fine and then will start the same thing. has 2800 hrs, and just recently changed all filters and refilled with correct hydraulic fluid. You can real notice the issue whenever you are pulling the arm back in towards the machine. I brought the machine all the way back down to almost an idle to hear the noise a little better, and it sounds like a bad whining. the previous owner told me that one cylinoid was going bad. The one he is referring too is on the air filter where it has 3 large black rubber pieces and slide onto a metal rod. each one of these have two wires that attach to it. But the machine looses a lot of power when it happens and makes a really loud noise when pulling the arm back towards the operator.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will try to help. If it is only happening on the arm circuit then I would have to say it is likely a relief valve problem or in the control valve for that function. Check your old filter for signs of metal that would indicate a pump problem or component problem and if clean, remove and inspect the relief valve cartridges in the main control valve for metal/debris, damaged o rings, or for sticking open. Let me know if you need further help with this.
What if you notice it whenever the machine swings left or right as well??Where is the relief valve cartridge located??
If it is doing it in more than one function then it sounds like it could be a pump problem or a possible relief valve problem. the reliefs are in the main control valve in each circuit behind the base of the boom. They are cylindrical assemblies with a lock nut and pressure adjusting screw on the tops of them. Remove the entire assembly and do not change any of the adjustments. You will either need to drain your hydraulic tank in a clean barrel or you will need to use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the tank inlet to keep the oil in the tank before pulling the reliefs or you will lose a lot of oil.
Hope it's not the pump! It never looses power with picking the whole machine up, stays strong in that category. It's just when you work the arm in towards you and when you swing. All with the left lever, hope I'm giving you plenty of info to help
I'd check your relief valves first and if OK have your pressures tested and verified they are within specs. Have your main and pilot pressure checked and make sure there is no metal found in your filters. That is where I would start.
Hi, I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this. Please feel free to rate or accept if you found my information helpful as that is how the experts receive credit for their time helping on the site.
Hi, Did you get this resolved?
Hi, I hope all went smoothly with this and you got this figured out. If not, let me know and I will be glad to help you further with this. Hope you have a great Christmas and Holidays!