Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

on a cat it 38g jan177 serial number. what is the cycle times…

on a cat it 38g...
on a cat it 38g jan177 serial number. what is the cycle times and relief pressure on the steering circuit
11/28/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, I am sorry no one could answer your question earlier. I hope this is not too late.
Record the steering time from stop to stop. The steering time for machines that are equipped with conventional steering should be 2.5 ± 0.5 seconds at high idle.
If the cycle times are not correct one of the following conditions may be present:
The pressure setting for the backup relief valve is not within specifications.
The pump is not upstroking.
The pump may have excessive wear.
The main relief pressure should be measured. If the main relief pressure is low, the cycle times should be retested after the main relief pressure has been corrected.
If the cycle time is slow for only one of the steering circuits, the circuit with slow cycle time should be tested for one of the following conditions:
Low relief valve setting
Leak in the circuit
Control spool that is not shifting fully
Flow balance shims may need to be adjusted if the steering times are consistently slow in one direction.
Start the engine and run the engine at high rpm
The maximum pressure in the steering system is limited to 22800 ± 350 kPa (3305 ± 50 psi) by the pump control section (pressure and flow compensator valve) of the steering/pilot pump.
The standby pressure reading should be 4700 kPa (680 psi) maximum. The margin pressure is 2500 kPa (365 psi).
The steering control valve is equipped with a backup relief valve. The backup relief valve acts as a backup to the pressure control section of the steering/pilot pump.
The backup relief valve is set to a higher pressure than the maximum system pressure (pump stall pressure). Therefore, the backup relief valve only operates if the pump control system fails to regulate the pump pressure to 22800 ± 350 kPa (3305 ± 50 psi).
Note the reading on the pressure gauge. The reading should be lower than 22800 ± 350 kPa (3305 ± 50 psi). Turn the adjusting screw slowly in the clockwise direction while you observe the pressure gauge. The reading should increase to 22800 ± 350 kPa (3305 ± 50 psi). Then, the pressure should stop rising.
Note: The pressure stops rising because the primary steering pump section has reached a stall condition. This reduces pump output.
When the pump stall pressure is reached, continue to turn adjusting screw clockwise by one full turn. Tighten jam nut.
If you need more help with this issue, please feel free to ask. I will be glad to help more.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician