Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

John Deere Excavator 490e: We have a John Deere 490e excavator…

Customer Question
We have a John Deere...
We have a John Deere 490e excavator that travels fine but is extremely slow to swing and lift. The problem happened after a piece of metal came up and hit the suction hose. We replaced the hose and filled with fluid. There doesnt seem to be pressure at the pilot pump the hoses dont move. We dont see a way to check the pressures for these pumps and are trying to figure out what our problem is.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/17/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will try to help. First check your in tank return filter for fine metal that would indicate a hydraulic pump problem or failure. Also there should be a small pilot strainer element behind the hydraulic tank in the pump compartment. If that is full of aluminum or metal you have a pilot pump problem. Remove and inspect your relief valve cartridges for damaged o rings,damage, or metal debris that would cause them to stick open and creat a loss of pressure to the functions on that valve bank. Let me know the results and if you need further help.
If you don't find any signs of metal in the pilot strainer or return filter let me know the serial number and I can give you the pressure specs for your machine so you can test your pressures.

no metal in the lines or filter, but the unit tracks fine just real slow hydraulics on the rest of the system, no gauges available this evening, can the problem be in the smaller pump?

Thanks for the update. It is possible but the small pump is for pilot pressure and if pilot pressure was low it would likely affect all functions. The best way to confirm this is to check your pilot pressure which is usually around 500-550 PSI. I can look up the actual specs for you if needed. I would check your relief cartridges in the main control valve for metel/debris holding them open or damaged o rings. and get a pilot pressure reading before condemning the pilot pump.

Hi David, I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this.

Just getting back to working my my machine. Where are the relief valves for the main control valve located and what do they look like.

Hi David. The reliefs are number 26 and 28 in the diagram. You will have reliefs for each circuit.graphic

Hi David, Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Did you get this resolved or do you still need help? I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this.