Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi I have a c9 industrial engine. It has a miss on startup…

Hi I have a c9...
Hi I have a c9 industrial engine. It has a miss on startup but is only slight when it warms up. It also brings up flash code 75. The return fuel line has an intermittent pulse with a small bit of air.
11/10/2014
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.
It sounds like your engine has a faulty injector. I have seen this many times. Unfortunately there is not a code 75. But there is a code 74, 73, and 72 for the injectors. Code 72 indicates injector 1 or 2 is faulty. 73 indicates 3 or 4. And 74 indicates 5 or 6.
It is normal to have a pulse and a small amount of air in the return line. This is the discharge form the injectors causing the pulse and air.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Thanks for that. Hey how can I test which injector it is
You are very welcome Richard. I am happy to help.
The best way is with Cat ET software. You can cut out each injector one at a time to determine which cylinder it is.
If you do not have Cat ET, you will have to either use a temp gun to read the temperature of each cylinders exhaust manifold port. Or you can unplug each injector one at a time to see if the miss gets worse or not. If you unplug one and the miss does not get worse, that is your malfunctioning cylinder.
Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert