Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1999 terex ss842 with john deere. About month ago…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 terex...
I have a 1999 terex ss842 with john deere. About month ago a guy dumped gasoline in and I did not realize for couple days. As soon as I found out and machine was running abnormal I drained fuel tank and changed air fuel separator as well as fuel filter. Since it has ran great no smoke engine is strong until today. It started right off the bat than after needed starting fluid to get it to start once started ran great but now I can't get it to start.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/10/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Have you replaced the fuel filters? Do you have fuel squirting from the injectors when you loosen the high pressure lines? Not just dripping. Is the fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump opening with key on? Any smoke from exhaust when cranking?

I replaced fuel filter and fuel water separator immediately from knowing about gasoline. It ran great even after using starter fluid to get it to run just can't get it to start. first few times starting fluid worked and now that doesn't work either

Has it been starting ok? Any damage from the gasoline should have showed before now. You changed filters a month ago? The gas can cook the pistons and you could have low compression but I would guess it is not getting fuel to the injectors.

Prior to today it had started like new and again once it s running it has all the power it has always had. The fuel filters have been changed and they have had about 20 gallons of diesel through them. Another person thinks its the filter as well but again it has only had 20 gallons through them

Yes, but it could be plugged, with gas in the tank, it could have washed any crud loose and now is in the new filter. Change the primary filter, and check the fuel shutoff solenoid, and check for fuel squirting at the injector lines. Exhaust should be smoking , if fuel is getting into the cylinders.

Where is the fuel shutoff solenoid?

On the injection pump, the only electrical piece on the injection pump.
did you find the solenoid and test it?
Have you found the problem?