Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Caterpillar 226, after I start it and release the…

I have a Caterpillar 226...
I have a Caterpillar 226, after I start it and release the park the part light starts to flash. the bucket controls are released and work but the machine will not move? If I move the safety bar up the park light would normally come back to a solid light how ever now it continues to flash. I cannot find anything out about it in the book. CAT00226E5FZ07228
Thanks. Mike
11/7/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Mike, I will try to help you with this. You will need to check your safety interlock circuit harness and switches as well as the park brake circuit. Here is the procedures.

Solenoid Valve (Parking Brake) Does Not Function Correctly

SMCS - 5479-038-BRK

Top of Form

System Operation Description:

The parking brake solenoid has no diagnostics for checking for faults in the system. The solenoid will NOT be energized when there is an open circuit or a short to ground. If the parking brake solenoid is shorted to the +battery the solenoid will be ON all the time.

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR HYDROSTATIC OPERATION

1. Occupy the seat.
  1. Lower the armrest.
  1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
  1. Press and release the parking brake switch.

Expected Result:

The hydrostatic system should energize.

Results:

• OK - The hydrostatic system energizes. Proceed to Test Step 2.
  • NOT OK - The hydrostatic system does NOT energize.

Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Switch (Parking Brake)".

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK VOLTAGE AT THE SOLENOID VALVE WITH KEY SWITCH OFF

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
  1. Locate the parking brake solenoid under the cab.
  1. Disconnect the parking brake solenoid from the electrical connector.
  1. Measure the voltage across the two contacts of the harness connector (A958-WH and 202-BK).

Expected Result:

The voltage should be less than 2 DCV.

Results:

• OK - The voltage is less than 2 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 3.
  • NOT OK - The voltage is greater than 2 DCV.

Repair: The wire harness is shorted to a + battery circuit. Repair the wire harness or replace the wire harness.

Stop.

Test Step 3. CHECK VOLTAGE AT THE SOLENOID VALVE WITH KEY SWITCH ON

Expected Result:

Voltage should be less than 2 DCV.

Results:

• OK - The voltage is less than 2 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 4.
  • NOT OK - The voltage is greater than 2 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 6.

Test Step 4. CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT THE SOLENOID VALVE WHILE THE KEY SWITCH IS ON AND THE PARKING BRAKE IS RELEASED

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position. Press and release the parking brake switch.

Note: Two people will need to perform this procedure. One person will need to be sitting in the seat with the armrest in the DOWN position.

Expected Result:

The voltage should be greater than 10 DCV.

Results:

• OK - The voltage is greater than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 5.
  • NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 DCV. Proceed to Test Step 7.

Test Step 5. CHECK RESISTANCE OF THE SOLENOID

1. Measure the resistance between the two wires of the parking brake solenoid.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be 10 ± 2 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is 10 ± 2 Ohms.

Repair: The problem does NOT appear to be electrically related.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is NOT 10 ± 2 Ohms.

Repair: The solenoid has failed. Replace the solenoid.

Stop.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE WIRE HARNESS FOR A SHORT CIRCUIT

1. Locate the Interlock ECM.
  1. Disconnect the wire harness.
  1. Check the resistance from contact 13 of the wire harness to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 24, contact 29, contact 62 and contact 70.

Expected Result:

The resistances should be above 2 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance readings are above 2 Ohms.

Repair: The ECM is unlikely to fail. Terminate this procedure and restart the procedures. Verify all the readings.

Stop.

• NOT OK - One or more resistance readings are below 2 Ohms.

Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness or replace the wire harness.

Stop.

Test Step 7. CHECK THE WIRE HARNESS FOR CONTINUITY

1. Connect a jumper wire between wires A958-WH and 202-BK on the wire harness at the end of the parking brake solenoid.
  1. Locate the Interlock ECM.
  1. Disconnect the wire harness.
  1. Check the resistance between pin 13 and pin 66 of the wire harness.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be less than 2 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is less than 2 Ohms.

Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 2 Ohms.

Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness or replace the wire harness

Hydrostatic System Interlock and Parking Brake Interlock

SMCS - 7630

The interlock system for the hydrostatic system and the parking brake uses the following components:

• Switch (armrest)

• Switch (seat)

• Switch (parking brake)

• Solenoid valve (hydrostatic pilot)

• Solenoid valve (parking brake)

• Indicator (armrest)

• Indicator (parking brake)

When power is applied to the ECM, the outputs for the hydrostatic pilot solenoid and the parking brake solenoid will be off. The outputs will remain off until the ECM receives valid inputs from the armrest switch, the seat switch and the parking brake switch.

When the ECM receives signals that indicate that the seat is occupied and the armrest is lowered, the ECM will turn off the armrest indicator. When the ECM sees the parking brake switch close, the ECM will then turn on the outputs for the hydrostatic pilot solenoid and the parking brake solenoid. Energizing these solenoids allows the machine to move.

Pressing the parking brake switch again will turn off the hydrostatic pilot solenoid and the parking brake solenoid. When the parking brake solenoid is turned off, the parking brake will become engaged and the parking brake indicator will illuminate.

Note: A raised armrest or an unoccupied seat will also cause the ECM to turn off the hydrostatic pilot solenoid and the parking brake solenoid.

Quote:

Switch (Parking Brake)

graphicgraphic
The switch is located on the left headliner to the left of the key start switch.

The switch tells the interlock ECM that the operator wants the parking brake to be applied or released.

The switch is a momentary, normally open rocker switch. When the switch is pressed the circuit closes. This places a grounded input on pin 42 of the ECM.

If the switch is grounded for more than 30 seconds the switch is considered to be stuck in the closed position. The ECM will then flash the parking brake indicator, which indicates a fault.

Note: If the machine is equipped with auxiliary hydraulics, the switch is also seen by the auxiliary hydraulic ECM.

Dan, Technician

Brake Test

This test will determine if the brakes are functioning correctly. This test will check the solenoid valve ( brake) and the piston motor.

Raise the cab. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Support Operation".

graphic

Disconnect electrical connection (1) for brake solenoid (2) .

graphic

Install a 7X-2444 Tee (3) and a 6V-3965 Valved Nipple Assembly (4) in the hydraulic line that runs from the brake solenoid to the piston motors.

Install a 8T-0855 Pressure Gauge to the valved nipple with a 1U-5755 Hose .

Lower the cab. Make sure that the hydraulic line is not pinched.

Sit in the operator's seat and fasten the seat belt. Lower the armrest.

Start the machine. The pressure gauge should read 0. If the gauge does not read 0, inspect the brake solenoid and the voltage for the brake solenoid.

Stop the machine. Raise the cab and reconnect the brake solenoid.

Lower the cab. Sit in the operator's seat and fasten the seat belt. Lower the armrest and start the machine. Set the governor at low idle.

Disengage the parking brake by pressing the parking brake switch. The pressure on the gauge should be 3100 ± 200 kPa (450 ± 30 psi).

If the pressure is not correct, inspect the following items: the brake solenoid, the voltage for the brake solenoid and the brake seal inside the piston motor.

If the brake solenoid is not functioning correctly, replace the solenoid.

When the test is completed, raise the cab and disconnect all gauges and hoses. Lower the cab and bolt the cab in place. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Support Operation".

Systems Operation
216, 226, 232 and 242 Skid Steer Loaders Machine Systems

Piston Motor (Hydrostatic)

SMCS - 5058

Top of Form

graphic
View Full Image

Illustration 1

(1) Shaft housing

(2) Rotor housing

(3) Rotor

(4) Piston assembly

(5) Brake housing

(6) Clutch pack

(7) Brake piston

(8) Belleville washer

(9) Roller bearing

(10) Roller bearing

(11) Shaft

The piston motor ( hydrostatic) is of a radial piston type. The piston motor consists of three sections. These sections are the shaft housing (1), the rotor housing (2) and the brake housing (5). Rotor (3) is connected to shaft (11) by splines. Clutch pack (6) is engaged by brake piston (7) and belleville washer (8) when there is no hydraulic pressure. When there is hydraulic pressure, the pressure forces brake piston (7) against belleville washer (8). This allows clutch pack (6) to disengage.

View Image

graphic
View Full Image

Illustration 2

g00816478

(A) Pressure port

(B) Pressure port

(L) Case drain port

(Z) Brake port

View Image

graphic
View Full Image

Illustration 3

g00884297

(A) Pressure port

(B) Pressure port

(C) Annular passages

(D) Exposed port

(L) Case drain port

The hydraulic oil from the piston pump flows through ports (A) and (B). One port will be high pressure and the other port will be low pressure. The high pressure port is determined by the desired direction of rotation. For this explanation of the motor, port (A) is considered to be the high pressure port.

Hydraulic oil flows through the axial bore of port A and into the annular passage (C). Hydraulic oil then flows through the exposed ports (D). The exposed ports (D) are below the piston assemblies. As the pressure increases, the piston is forced outward. As the piston is forced outward, the piston rollers roll on the inner diameter of the cam.

View Image

graphic
View Full Image

Illustration 4

g00599046

As the pistons move along the inner diameter of the cam, the pistons turn the rotor. The rotor turns the shaft. The rotor is connected to the shaft by splines. Illustration 4 shows the rotational motion of the pistons as the pistons rotate about the shaft.

As the rotor turns, the previously exposed ports are covered and previously covered ports are exposed. The fully extended piston assembly next passes over an exposed port.

The piston rollers, which follow the inner diameter of the rotor, force the piston assembly toward the shaft. This is due to the shape of the inner diameter of the rotor. The hydraulic oil is forced through the exposed port by the inward motion of the piston assembly. The hydraulic oil then returns to an annular passage (C) which then directs the oil through an axial bore and out of port (B) .

Port (L) is a case drain for oil that leaks by the piston assemblies and for the flushing valve. The flushing valve uses the oil in order to cool the motor. The flushing valve also uses the oil in order to flush harmful particles from the motor.

Oil for the flushing valve flows from the low pressure side of the drive loop. If the oil pressure in the forward drive cavity increases, the pressure increase shifts the spool toward the reverse drive cavity. Oil from the reverse drive cavity flows through the center passage. The oil pressure in the center passage opens the relief poppet. The oil flows through port (L) to the return manifold and the oil is routed through the oil cooler. Then, the oil returns to the tank.

If the oil pressure in the reverse drive cavity increases, the pressure increase shifts the spool toward the forward drive cavity. Oil from the forward drive cavity flows through the center passage. The oil pressure in the center passage opens the relief poppet. The oil flows through port (L) to the return manifold and the oil is routed through the oil cooler. Then, the oil returns to the tank

Thanks Dan

I have a Mouse in the skid loader. I found where he removed a quick connector. it must have been for the park solenoid.

now the park light stays out when pushed, the bucket hydraulics work, and the left tires work forward and reverse. the right side is locked up tight, can this still be and electrical problem?

Thanks for the update Mike. It is possible the brake is not releasing on that side or it could be a bad drive motor or gearbox but if there were no symptoms of this before then I would run through the brake test I posted to see if the brake is in fact releasing and the solenoid is functioning. Also check your hydraulic filter for signs of metal/debris that would flag a possible drive motor problem. Take a closer look at the harness as they can cause a lot of damage. Let me know.