Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Terex pt30, its dying out losing power like its starving…

I have a Terex pt30...
I have a Terex pt30, its dying out losing power like its starving for fuel. It will run good for a while then just start losing power or rpm's will drop. As soon as you stop operating it will gain its rpm's but as soon as you start operating it will drop again. Now I've changed the fuel filter, check the screens in water separator and the one connected to priming bulb. I've also blow out fuel lines to and from the fuel tank as well as fuel lines to and from fuel filter.
Oh yeah and taken fuel tank off and drained it and cleaned it out. I'm about at my wits end with this problem, any suggestions? Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/30/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will try to help. Is it acting like it is starving for fuel or is it bogging down like it is under a load? Black smoke?
I don't notice any smoke, even when it's not under load and just traveling it will just slow right down like it's going to stal out. If you sit still for a sec it will buil up rpm's then when start to travel it will start bogging down not under load
What model Perkins is in this? Try running a seperate hose to the pump from another fuel source to bypass the suction side and see if the problem still exists. This will eliminate or confirm a suction side problem. If the problem still exists then you will want to test your fuel pressure and compare it to the spec for your engine. sometimes there are fuel screens inline at the inlet fittings going to the pump. Check for any restrictions. If you have good fuel supply with no restrictions, you are looking at an injection pump problem.
Hi George, I wanted to follow up with you to see where things stand with this machine and if you needed any more help with this. Let me know.

Hi George, Did you get this going? If so let me know and I will get this question closed out for you.

Yes I got it going, I went through all my lines again and blew them out. Seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for your help.
Great news!!! Pleasure to help.
Dan, Technician