Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a John Deere 450 dozer. The auto warning system keeps…

I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 450 dozer. The auto warning system keeps coming back, I think because the trans filter got full. how can I drain and change the trans and what fluid should I use
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will try to help you. What is the serial number of your machine? Is this a straight 450?

T0450GH787328 I believe its a 450g. It is an auto stick w/ cone clutch pedal.

Thanks for the update. Could you give me some further details on the symptoms and what warning indicators you are getting? Is it displaying any fault codes?

I doesn't have a computer, just a shutdown warning, with the stop light indicator. Everything else appeared ok , the trans light was on and the fluid was a little milky, so we changed the filter for the trans, that put the light out for @ an hour and a half. Fluid is still milky,I thought we should change it before we changed the filter again. unit does not see alot of use, 20-30 hours a year, thought the milk was condensation at first. not so sure now...

It will take a while and a few fluid changes to get all the water out but it should be flushed out for sure. Make sure you run it up to temp and try to drain the oil hot or warm to get the most of the water out. the water will damage the transmission and corrode the internal components as well as settle on the bottom and freeze in colder temps causing much bigger problems. If you put the trans into a stall in a high gear it will heat the oil up to temp a lot faster to flush the system. The drain will be under the machine. there should be aaccess cover made into the belly pan to access it. If not then you need to remove the belly pan.

What tranny fluid should we be using??? I have tractor service fluid and that is what it appears to be in it. also should we drain the drive unit or is it connected? also what quantity of fluid?

21.2 gallons for the transmission and 7-9 quarts for the final drives (7 for the G and 9 for the G LT and LGP). Both require Hygard or equivalent (Type J20C) The final drives are separate units.

Dan, Technician

Anyway I could get the exact location of the drain plug? we are having a hard time finding it?

Hello Eric. Drive the machine up on a couple of hard wood blocks to be able to fit under the machine. Look under the transmission area for an access cover bolted on the belly pan. If you do not have the cover, the belly pan will have to be removed to access the bottom of the transmission and the drain plug. Do you have the operators manual for this machine by chance? This info is in the operators manual. I would gladly upload this information if I had the book for this model. I did work for Deere in the past and some of the machines didn't have the access cover in the belly pan and the pan had to be removed using a jack to support the pan while the bolts are removed. Let me know

we found it. right rear corner of trans. thanks

Great news!!! Thank you for the update Eric.