Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

on the JCB 214e with a perkins engine - how would you rectify…

on the JCB 214e with...
on the JCB 214e with a perkins engine - how would you rectify a loss of compression issue? Strangely the engine has no sleeves so cannot simply change the sleeve as would be a typical option on other engines
10/12/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B. :

Is compression loss from piston rings or from bad valves in the cylinder head? If it is the cylinder, the block can be bored, and oversize piston installed or it can be sleeved back to standard.

Curtis B. :

Any good machine shop dealing with diesel engines can fix it!

Customer:

Hey curtis. Valuves are good a so assume it from the cylinders. The fear is that the engine block was not engineered to use sleeves so boring and then using none OEM recommended sleeves would cause overheating. Also wouldn't the manufacturer need to make the oversize pistons if you wanted to bore and install oversize pistons? Or would we simply try and find non OEM pistons that matches the new cylinder?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Boring and installing a thin sleeve replacement, to bring cylinder back to standard is common practice and will not cause overheating. As to what Perkins offers, I think they do offer an oversize piston and ring set. May not be through JCB, but from Perkins!